Suspension suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension suggestion

So i took a look at why my front suspension was very aggressively raked and it seemed the lowering coil springs were installed very wrong and i was thinking about just getting some new shocks and struts in general. I was told by a friend i should just get new front struts but i don't know about suspension that much so i wanted to know, should i replace the front struts, should i get all new shocks AND struts, or replace the struts and get new springs. A very nice user name E30Bastard recommended me Vogtland springs (https://www.vogtland-na.com/us/en/pr...prings/951018/) and they don't seem that bad. I don't know much about suspension so i just wanted to know some opinions. I am too low right now and can't get over speed bumps so if anyone would be able to tell me if those Vogtlands would raise it good that would be appreciated. I saw that i would need to weld coilovers if i go with those so i'm just thinking what would be better.

The shock and strut kit i was thinking about buying was the Billy B6 Kit (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ocks-set-of-4/) and then pair those Vogtlands with them.

I do not autoX or race so i just want to have a comfortable ride as well as being lowered but not to the point like now where i'm raked and can't get over bumps at all.

Do you like the way that your car rides now? Is it too stiff? Is it too soft?

If you like the ride, then you can raise the nose and be done. The strut insert can be raised
    in the tube, if need be. Coilover 'kits' can be moved up and down.

This is where a couple of pictures makes it a LOT easier for us to give advise.

There are a lot of factors that come into play with the E30 suspension, some of them unique to the E30.
    Rake will affect handling significantly, so you may find that levelling the car out makes it more stable in the rear.

However, depending on how it was lowered (camber and toe adjustments in the rear?) changing ride height
    will change your alignment a LOT. IF it was lowered intelligently, you may have to undo a lot of what was done.
    Or if it was just dropped, you may find that the E30 really DOES handle pretty well.

A final caution- mixing shocks and struts front and rear can be potentially dangerous in certain circumstances.
    If the shock or strut is too long for the spring, it'll bottom, which at best is noisy, at worst will spin you or run you
    into a wall. Less obviously, a stiff (b6) shock in front and a softer one in back may lead to understeer on
    rough pavement, as the front wheel grip will be reduced compared to the rear.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
    X