Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance with e30 disassembly/reassembly

Hello fellow e30 fans!
    I'm in the process (just got my e30 into the garage) of disassembling my e30 for body and paint work.
    I'd like to strip out the interior, engine and suspension. Basically get it to rolling on a frame of 2x4's on casters so the shop can properly address any wheel well rust, as well as the other areas of the underbody.
    I have a double car garage with storage on either side (empty shelving on one side) which is currently empty except for my coupe.

I know I'll have to invest in an engine hoist (at least rent one) as well as various jack stands etc. to make the job less challenging.

i have 6 months to get it all disassembled (due at the body shop in early Jan). I'd like to get it disassembled sooner so I can then focus on rebuilding components such as the power steering system, suspension bushings, purchasing and installing subframe reinforcements (if I decide to upgrade the engine in the future), clean and reseal the HVAC system etc.

Advice would be appreciated on the following:
    1. What order should I disassemble everything as well as reassemble? I know I should probably invest in several storage bins and devise a way to keep track of screws, washers, wiring etc.
    2. Should I reverse my car into the garage, or drive it straight in? ( I know this sounds silly, but I figure this is important for the removal of engine, etc.)

Also, removal of these components will be much more challenging once the car starts being dismantled.
    3. Any particular tools I should invest in?
    4.Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone who's done this before is willing to offer guidance on an ongoing basis, I'd be willing to compensate you once the project is over.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 05-29-2020, 11:22 AM.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

5-year restoration

Comment

I can only assume that you will not be removing items that are unrelated to rust repair or a doors open respray.

1. Body panels & glass (for access & to prevent damage if storage space really allows), easily damaged interior components, large assemblies (engine/trans, then subframes), small components.
      2. Reverse for engine hoist access if the garage door won't be in the way of the hoist if you remove the engine with the garage door open or closed. Consider access angles, heights, and sizes before you immobilize the car.
      3. Cordless ratchet, storage systems or lots of bags/boxes & tags.
      4. Depending on the level you strip the car, you may be able to simply physically carry the body with the help of one or two people. Be sure to store items in an organized manner so that things can either head out for paint or get rebuilt without moving 100 other items first.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        I can only assume that you will not be removing items that are unrelated to rust repair or a doors open respray.

1. Body panels & glass (for access & to prevent damage if storage space really allows), easily damaged interior components, large assemblies (engine/trans, then subframes), small components.
        2. Reverse for engine hoist access if the garage door won't be in the way of the hoist if you remove the engine with the garage door open or closed. Consider access angles, heights, and sizes before you immobilize the car.
        3. Cordless ratchet, storage systems or lots of bags/boxes & tags.
        4. Depending on the level you strip the car, you may be able to simply physically carry the body with the help of one or two people. Be sure to store items in an organized manner so that things can either head out for paint or get rebuilt without moving 100 other items first.
        Thanks for the reply. Your points are exactly what I was looking for

Actually, I'm going for something similar to the one in the thread above. I'm budgeting about 12-18 months to complete including the 2 months the shop will require to work on it. I figure the quicker I can start tearing it apart and cleaning/replacing/restoring components, the easier and quicker it will be to finish once the body is ready.

Comment

Stay very organized!! Plastic baggies for nuts and bolts. Mark wiring connections with titles!! Careful not breaking connectors or terminals when removing. Good luck!!! Keep us updated with photos.

Comment

anal retentive organization. take pictures of everything and catalog. back in to the garage. get better overhead lighting. install urinal in garage next to kegerator. draw up divorce papers. sent from hell using tapatalk
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
              anal retentive organization. take pictures of everything and catalog. back in to the garage. get better overhead lighting. install urinal in garage next to kegerator. draw up divorce papers. sent from hell using tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X