Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to bypass the ignition switch to start the car inside the cabin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to bypass the ignition switch to start the car inside the cabin?

Car in question is a 91 325i Spec E30 race car...Gutted and caged, as you would expect. I just swapped in a fresh motor and was half asleep when I wired my starter the first go around and believe I have fried my ignition switch as a result.

Initially I was thinking I seized the starter solenoid (in my initial wiring I managed to get a wire on the lug the ground strap is on and tried to crank it that way, which resulted in the starter spinning for a moment and then quickly stopping...don`t ask, it had been a long day
    ), but just swapped in a brand new bosch solenoid and have the same issue...That is, no starting or cranking when I turn the key however I can start the car from the diagnostic port (shorting pin 11 and 14. I am still hunting down to make certain I don`t have a wire break somewhere in the ignition line, but my initial test at the C101 suggests the fault is definitely on that side (not getting any voltage between pin 18 and ground when I try to start the car).

Sadly, I have track time in a day so I won`t have time to correctly fix this with a new ignition switch. Is there a simple way that I can circumvent the ignition switch in the cabin so that I can start without assistance?

I suppose I could rig up some long extensions from the diagnostic plug into the cabin, but that seems like I am overcomplicating it?

tldr: Have a track time in a day and need advice (No matter how janky) on how to quickly be able to start a racecar without using the ignition switch due to it being busted/faulty and not having time to get a new one in and replaced.

A follow up question....
    where should I be able to test for continuity on the black/yellow ignition wire? From what I have gathered elsewhere I should be able to see it at C101 pin 18 and maybe terminal 50 on the starter, but neither of those are very clear and that is mostly inferred from what I have read. The Bentley is a bit confusing here.

My under dash wiring is quite a rats nest of various hacks and so far I am only seeing a single black/yellow wire that fits the description and it is certainly spliced in a few spots (including a lovely shade of teal wire) and I have at least the remnants of the central locking system and possibly an alarm system (Steal Stopper Model 80) that I am reallllllly hoping has actually been cut out of the actual ignition wiring, but given my luck to date it may still be in there (and actually be the problem). Working under the dash is extremely not fun with a roll cage in the way, that much I can say for certain!

Comment

Got back to it this morning and determined it was the remnants of the alarm system that was the problem. Cut it out and everything works as it should now, I apparently toasted it in my original miswiring adventure.

Also, for reference, you should have continuity between the black/yellow wire and pin 18 of the c101

Comment

Working...
      X