Low Beams Stay on! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Beams Stay on! Help!

So... Low beams stay on when light switch is off and car is off, key out. I just installed a new headlight switch. Same situation. Switch seems fine. I have to remove the fuses to get the lights off. I have tried to reinstall fuses and wait, even overnight... still stay on. All cluster lights work fine as advertised, blinkers, running, brakes, fogs and high beams Any ideas to the issue?? thanks. sent from hell using tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Pull the relay and check for switched power to the relay. If there isn't power, that means the relay is stuck on. If there is power, then there is an issue with the wiring between the switch and the relay.

Comment

I pulled the relay and switched it with a working one from my 85 eta. Problem still persists. How do I check for the issue? I suck at electrical stuff... I have a volt meter. But that doesn't mean much.... thanks sent from hell using tapatalk
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I pulled the relay. put the fuses back in. low beams come on. key off. very confused. sent from hell using tapatalk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

First off, here is the ETK:

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf

Page 6312-0 shows the headlight wiring.

You must have pulled the wrong relay or there is a short somewhere.It's relay K4, top right in this photo (the one that is pulled out).

Click image for larger version

Name:	E30 Relays.PNG
Views:	1033
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	9932822

Pull the relay out and if the headlights are still on, check for power at terminal 87 and 87b. These are the two parallel terminals in the middle. If there is power on these terminals, you have a short somewhere feeding the headlights.

Comment

andrewbird thanks. I will check that and look further. seems odd as nothing has been touched between the headlight switch and the fuse box. my rig is tight. wondering what could have fouled. I'll report. need to get through the weekend. she looks cool for once though with the running lights and just the fogs... sent from hell using tapatalk
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

bringing this back up.... since the original post I have removed fuses to get low beam lights off. it's been a month or so and haven't driven the car much at night. put the fuses in to get lights on... drove around for an hour or so... came home and turned the lights off perfectly. no need to pull the fuses again... yet. must be a ghost. not complaining. life in hell is fun. see you there. sent from hell using Tapatalk
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X