What is this? Mini swirl tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? Mini swirl tank?

Alright, I own a 83/84 323i e30 and currently swapping out the external fuel pump to a higher flow for my m50 turbo setup. The issue is this cylinder black-color looking thing, looks like a swirl tank, is in the way not giving me enough room to install the new fuel pump, refer to pic attach. Can I just remove or delete that thing and have the 12mm hose go straight to the fuel pump? I will be updating my whole fuel system later but for now, I just want the car running. Thanks

Not entirely sure, BMW helpfully lists it as a hose, or maybe the diagram is just wrong, but my guess would be some sort of mini accumulator with a check valve.

The thing that looks like a FPR is a fuel damper, so I doubt it's an extra one of those.

Comment

I can’t rememebr where I read this but it’s supposed to be a mini swirl cylinder, but if I rememebr correctly, the information I read was not clear if it can be removed. And yes, Realoem has it listed as “Hose” which is wrong, this is why I’m a bit confused at this time. I might just delete this and I guess we will see what happens.

Comment

If you remove it, maybe cut it open or otherwise disassemble it for us?

Comment

Disassemble the cylinder thing? It feels like empty space. But maybe I can post up some pic.

I know now that if I remove this, I may have more chance of fuel starvation during hard turns, but serious I’m not planning on autocrossing, drifting, or circuit racing with my car. It will be used for hwy pulls.

Comment

Originally posted by mini612 View Post
            Disassemble the cylinder thing? It feels like empty space. But maybe I can post up some pic.

I know now that if I remove this, I may have more chance of fuel starvation during hard turns, but serious I’m not planning on autocrossing, drifting, or circuit racing with my car. It will be used for hwy pulls.
            Yeah, I'm curious if there's anything in there at all. I suspect others will be too. You could just run some fluid through it from each port and see if it is just an open space too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8753DB48-7754-4F22-B78E-21108518AD7B.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	9933389 The thinging is totally just an open cylinder space, no baffles or chambers that I can see at this time. This must serve as a swirl mini tank? I’ll take it apart later to really see what’s inside. I put a 90 degree 1/2” brass barb fitting which gave me enough space for the pump. Pics of that mini-swirl chamber:

Comment

Fuel pressure damper/absorber. On older cars with batch fire injection, they were used more often to help dampen the return pulses from the injectors opening/closing.

A swirl tank will have 4 bungs. One goes to the in tank pump, one goes to the fuel return line, one goes to the fuel tank return, and the last goes to an external pump to feed the engine.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So its got 2 dampers, one before and after the pump. Btw my car had a third damper right before the fuel rail when I got it back in 2012. I removed that one when I did the m30 swap.

Comment

Some had them on the fuel rail. Not sure if I ever saw one with both?

I know some of the pumps have the damper built into the supply tube, as part of the housing. A lot of the single pump 318's have them (white plastic "barrel" at the top of the pump exit).
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Now add all of the dampers and the fuel line to refrigerant line heat exchanger for that total BMW "upgraded" fuel system.

Comment

Working...
                      X