Questions about the AFM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about the AFM

So i know that an AFM for 318s and AFMs for 325i,ix,is wont work for my 325e but i'm noticing there are different part #s for the 325e AFMs. Real OEM says my AFM part # is 13621466355. Is that the BMW P# or the Bosch P#? I want to buy a new one but I don't know if there is a difference between the AFMs I am seeing for the 325e 2.7liter E engines or if it's just different BMW P#s for different years. .

RealOEM shows BMW part numbers, and since the number for your AFM corresponds to a pre 9/85 production you should get that one. Alternately, you can send yours away for refurbishment.

Whatever you do, do not get a new suspiciously cheap one from ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      RealOEM shows BMW part numbers, and since the number for your AFM corresponds to a pre 9/85 production you should get that one. Alternately, you can send yours away for refurbishment.

Whatever you do, do not get a new suspiciously cheap one from ebay.
      Yeah those all look suspicious. Thank you. Can you also just clean your AFM at home with just some cleaning spray made for them or does it take special parts to fix/refurb them? Some people have said to not mess with it at all, some have said not to mess with anything but clean it with cleaner spray, and then some say you could refurb it yourself.
      Last edited by ThomasE30; 10-12-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post
        Can you also just clean your AFM at home with just some cleaning spray made for them or does it take special parts to fix/refurb them?
        Which do you think is more likely, considering the function of the device?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Which do you think is more likely, considering the function of the device?
          Well on Bimmer and R3V I have seen people say MAF sensor cleaner would fine to clean them and fixing some issues. I meant to say would cleaner work for just regular cleaning instead of saying a fix/refurb. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Hmm mine has a plain black plastic cover with no markings. All of the ones I see online say Bosch with a part #. Does that mean mine is one of the cheapo eBay ones you advise against?

Comment

Originally posted by Camper Van Someren View Post
              Hmm mine has a plain black plastic cover with no markings. All of the ones I see online say Bosch with a part #. Does that mean mine is one of the cheapo eBay ones you advise against?
              That's weird, I've never seen one with a plain cover on it. Mine has a 318 cover on it from the PO trying to find a cover for it but it's not a 5 pin like the 318 ones.

Comment

The 325E had several part numbers through the years and the PN you listed is a BMW PN. There were several small revisions throughout the years but all PNs should be consider the same part, as long as its for a 325e, you will be fine. Note that the late model 325e, SETA, is a different AFM and will not work on yours.

Also note that spraying cleaner on the inside of your AFM will not do much because once you drive it will fill with oil again. Also when you spray cleaner inside the AFM, it does not get anywhere close to the electronics section, which is usually the problem with these.

We usually have 325E afms and can also provide you service. Check our website for more info about AFM and AFM refurbishment. I also have a good thread on this forum that goes into great depth about refurbishing and troubleshooting the AFM.

If you are using the original 30 year old AFM, it should be replaced.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                  The 325E had several part numbers through the years and the PN you listed is a BMW PN. There were several small revisions throughout the years but all PNs should be consider the same part, as long as its for a 325e, you will be fine. Note that the late model 325e, SETA, is a different AFM and will not work on yours.

Also note that spraying cleaner on the inside of your AFM will not do much because once you drive it will fill with oil again. Also when you spray cleaner inside the AFM, it does not get anywhere close to the electronics section, which is usually the problem with these.

We usually have 325E afms and can also provide you service. Check our website for more info about AFM and AFM refurbishment. I also have a good thread on this forum that goes into great depth about refurbishing and troubleshooting the AFM.

If you are using the original 30 year old AFM, it should be replaced.
                  I will have to look into having you guys restore mine sometime. Pretty sure it is the original.

Comment

Working...
                  X