Floor pan rust repair cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor pan rust repair cost

Hey guys, new to owning an E30 & starting my build. I have typical floor pan rust in the corners. In the photos attached the rust doesn’t extend but maybe an inch from what you can see, it’s sturdy outside of there - at least that’s what my rust repair guy is saying. He quoted me ~$750 to repair those spots. I’ve never had to have this kind of work done but that seems on the high end? I know it’s best to see it in person but just looking to see what you all think
    Attached Files

Haha that's beyond typical floor rust. That is swiss cheese. $750 sounds like a deal to me.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I wouldn't even want to touch that for $750. Fenders need to come off, lots of interior out, fuel and brake lines may need to be moved, glass needs to be protected from spalling/grinding debris, and that's before any of the actual work starts. Also, quality undercoating is a must in those locations once the work is done.

Comment

Unfortunately that looks a lot like what I'm dealing with. Once I really dug in (stripped interior, removed sound deadening, etc) it was much worse than what was immediately visible. I hate to say it, but I think you're going to have similar issues as me.

$750 doesn't sound bad, but I have a feeling these aren't going to be your only problem areas once your guy starts prepping or once you start assessing the car. You need to decide how much you want to spend to deal with any potential rust, and/or how much time you want to invest, and go from there. I found a decent $300 MIG welder on CL and plan on taking my time.

Comment

Seems like those corners and the battery box are the 2 prime areas to check for rust when buying a 30.

750 sounds cheap....

Comment

That area, the battery box, the studs for the cat heat shield and the rear seat floor pans were the areas that got hit on my car. I bought a welder off craigslist and learned to weld. Not to say I'm a welder now, but I stuck metal together with a welder! Rust free cars of this vintage are going to be few and far between.
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

If this is the only spot you're repairing, e30garagenorway and valcas garage both make a weld in replacement jack point for 56 euros for both sides, and I think they both make full floorpans as well. Not sure if that would help the guy sweeten the price a bit, but maybe worth asking
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
              X