Running without clutch fan during the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running without clutch fan during the winter

Now that it's starting to get colder with the temperatures dropping to 20-40F where I live, I was thinking that the clutch fan isn't really necessary to operate during this time as it is during the hotter months because:
    • The outside air is very cold and dry (at least it is in my area), meaning it will readily accept heat without the assistance of a clutch fan even if the engine is running while the car is at a standstill
    • The AC isn't in use during the winter, meaning that the cooling system doesn't have to deal with rejecting additional heat from the AC condenser (which is right from of the radiator)
    • The heater is in use and the heater core is continuously trying to heat up 20-40F air from outside when not in recirculation mode. Since the heater core acts as a mini radiator and rejects heat from the engine coolant into ambient outside air (when not set in recirculation mode), it effectively helps cool the engine
    Therefore, I am planning on taking my clutch fan off during the months of December to February and putting it back once March hits and it starts getting warmer. I am thinking some potential benefits to running without a clutch fan during winter are:
    • Faster engine warmup time during a cold start as the clutch fan isn't rejecting heat from cold coolant. This results in less engine wear over the long term
    • Faster heating up of the cabin, again because the clutch fan isn't rejecting heat from cold coolant. This heat can be rejected into the cabin by the heater core
    • Less parasitic drag on the engine (AKA better gas mileage during the winter), at least during the months of December to February. I'm planning on taking the AC compressor belt off too during these months since the compressor isn't in use (I've had it off before while fixing my AC and noticed slightly more peppiness as the engine doesn't have to spin that heavy compressor clutch)
    What are folk's thoughts on doing this? Would you feel safe running without your clutch fan when outside temperatures are 20-40F?
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Good thing NJ, ever gets to 60F during the day in winter, and you never have to sit in traffic or at a light. Maybe if it isn't broken, or about to break, just leave it the heck alone, but if you really want to improve efficiency install a quality electric fan instead.

Comment

I been looking into installing my elect SPAL fan for a while looking for benefits... and this is what I found

1- factory fan is more efficient than electric one
      2- parasitic drag is vey minimal , plus amperage uptick may rob some HP thru the alternator
      3- warmup of car is control thru the thermostat
      4- the only reason now for me to get the electric fan is the removal of the "truck noise" when taking off....

i will honestly leave the fan alone if the operating temp is good...why risk it...?

goodluck

Comment

Hey, every 100 pounds is about a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. Yank that sucker off and let 'er rip!

Looking forward to your post wanting an uncracked head.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Tooooo much turkey? Leave the damn thing alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
            Now that it's starting to get colder with the temperatures dropping to 20-40F where I live, I was thinking that the clutch fan isn't really necessary to operate during this time as it is during the hotter months because:
            • The outside air is very cold and dry (at least it is in my area), meaning it will readily accept heat without the assistance of a clutch fan even if the engine is running while the car is at a standstill
            • The AC isn't in use during the winter, meaning that the cooling system doesn't have to deal with rejecting additional heat from the AC condenser (which is right from of the radiator)
            • The heater is in use and the heater core is continuously trying to heat up 20-40F air from outside when not in recirculation mode. Since the heater core acts as a mini radiator and rejects heat from the engine coolant into ambient outside air (when not set in recirculation mode), it effectively helps cool the engine
            Therefore, I am planning on taking my clutch fan off during the months of December to February and putting it back once March hits and it starts getting warmer. I am thinking some potential benefits to running without a clutch fan during winter are:
            • Faster engine warmup time during a cold start as the clutch fan isn't rejecting heat from cold coolant. This results in less engine wear over the long term
            • Faster heating up of the cabin, again because the clutch fan isn't rejecting heat from cold coolant. This heat can be rejected into the cabin by the heater core
            • Less parasitic drag on the engine (AKA better gas mileage during the winter), at least during the months of December to February. I'm planning on taking the AC compressor belt off too during these months since the compressor isn't in use (I've had it off before while fixing my AC and noticed slightly more peppiness as the engine doesn't have to spin that heavy compressor clutch)
            What are folk's thoughts on doing this? Would you feel safe running without your clutch fan when outside temperatures are 20-40F?
            its going to make a fairly negligible difference
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
            X