No announcement yet.

Power steering pump groaning after rack swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finnmole I contacted ECS and they confirmed that the kit they sent me was for an E36 rack setup. I still have the E30 rack so it explains why my high pressure line wasn't lining up with the rack. I did swap the high pressure line with the reservoir return line on the rack connections, wonder if it will cause issues for me. I have heard of others doing this so I did it as it seemed to make it easier to connect the lines. Here is a link to pics of my install. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBvGYPXNdtnhNFue9

BTW I haven't gotten the new line yet, so I will update when I get that installed to see if I experience the same issue.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

So I swapped the pump...no change...sigh.
      Perhaps the new (used) rack has a partial blockage and is causing the pump to strain?

Who knows but I'm not going to replace the steering rack as it's so much work with no guarantee it will fix the noise.
      Unless it's the Chase Bays lines some how, I doubt it.

Comment

Quick update; i replaced the E36 rack with a green tag E46 rack; will post later how the feel of the rack is but the noise is still there.
        Just driving around the block it feels like the rack is like an E30 rack in the middle but quickly feels nice when making turns. Might be a good fit for an E30 that's not a track car.

Comment

I also replaced my manual transmission fluid with Redline MTL GL4 gear oil and there's a noticeable difference in shifting....much improved, less notchy for sure.

Comment

So had a chance to drive the car after the wheel alignment.
            The E46 Green tag feels really nice to me; non-linear as expected gives a comfortable driving experience at highway speeds, and nicely responds in turns.
            Comparing the E36 rack from before; at center about the same except the E36 rack had a bit of play in the middle...E46 rack more responsive in the corners.
            Also need to mention that the E36 tie rod ends are so much beefier and easier to adjust than the E30 tie rods were.

NOTE
            An E30 with an E36 rack needs E30 outers and E36 inner tie rods
            An E30 with an E46 rack needs E36 outers with E46 inners.

Comment

So I replaced my power steering pump with a known good ZF pump (the other two were Vickers) still the same noise.
              I'm now convinced the Chase Bays kit is the cause of the noise. Two steering racks and three pumps later :(

Looks like I need to go back to stock and try to bend the aluminum pipe to fit the E46 rack in the E30....unless someone can tell me how to fix the issue with the Chase Bays kit.

I might just have to live with the noise.

Comment

Groan is air in the PS system. You could try pulling a vacuum on the system to remove all the air. The vacuum systems used to bleed brakes can be used to bleed air out of the PS system. Amazon has an Orion Motor Tech Brake Bleeder Kit that is cheap.

Comment

So I took out the Chase Bays reservoir and piping...bent the old BMW hoses to fit the E46 rack, new reservoir, and it's fixed!
                  I can hear a slight noise...maybe 2 out of 10 (8/10 before) but basically consider it fixed.

Comment

Hey finnmole,

I am in the same boat now.
                    I am using the Chase bays kit and I am having the groaning/vibration etc.

Did you try just replacing the high pressure line with a non-Chase Bay line?

How has the groaning noise been so far?

Comment

About Power steering pump groaning after rack swap

Any update to your issue? I have the same problem. I like the chase bays kit but the groan is annoying. I have a brand new power steering pump too. I'm thinking of using the oem lines for the feed and return lines and oem reservoir. I read that the chase bays reservoir can cause issues.​

Comment

Working...
                      X