Shifter Bushing Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Bushing Upgrade

Almost every E30 that I have owned needed to have the shifter freshened up. All the bushing get pretty soft after awhile. Here's the parts we're talking about:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-23 080120.png
Views:	163
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	9970787
    The easy way is to just replace everything. However, some of our favorite vendors want $200-300 to change all the wear items. That's too much for me. So I tried something new. Here's what I bought from our friends at Garagistic:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-23 081229.png
Views:	124
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	9970789

I have always resisted buying the harder plastic (i.e. delrin, polyurethane, etc.) products because of the increased noise and vibration. But I thought I'd give it a try.

The results were that the shift action was now fantastic. Just as I was hoping , and only $51! Unfortunately, the noise also increased. I picked up a buzzing noise at highway speeds and a clicking sound as I was braking to a stop.

To try and reduce these new noises, I replaced part #2 (Bearing Sleeve Round) with a conventional rubber one ($8).

And the result: We have a winner!

The shift action is still excellent and now no noise.

YMMV.

Attached Files

Nice! It's one of those things that gets skipped on so many E30s for some reason.

Comment

Working...
    X