Tempted to buy an E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted to buy an E30 M3

I think this should have been covered before but I think my situation is rather more peculiar?

So I have been hunting for the right E30 for sometime now. It's been tough.

I once bought a 'compromise' E30 and I sold it within a couple of weeks because I didn't want to have something that would take work to become into what I want it to become when I could have something set right from the start.

I have come across what I believe is an RHD E30 M3 with an M52 mated to an automatic transmission. Find it in this link.

I know it says M Power but if you can cut through the language the seller calls it an M52 AT.

Is it still a money pit? It's being sold for $15k and I am really not too sure why when a regular convertible goes for $20k. That's something odd.

Point of the question.

Are E30 M3s purely money pits meant for the very wealthy or is it possible to get away with a slap on the wrist for these sorts of cars? I always thought one would be entirely out of my price range but this seems quite close. Want to know if there are hidden costs that go beyond the motor and tranny.

Very noobish I know, wanted to post on S14.net but they won't let anyone register.

I'm afraid I can't comment much on it since you're in Thailand! I'd imagine parts are expensive get there though. Depends on how devoted you are to having an M3, however, this may not be a true M3 anyway!

Obviously, the car has the full M3 treatment on the outside but there are some things that look suspicious...

- RHD when M3's are only LHD unless converted.
    - tan headliner when it should be black
    - 318/325 check control panel with low oil level indicator (only known 1 M3 to have this)
    - obviously an engine swap
    - M3 rear speaker panel and extension are completely missing
    - No ski pass (early 84 body?)
    - angled fuse box (early 84-85 body)
    - Non M3 rear seats.
    - bumper covers and decklid appear to be aftermarket

I'm not sure how rare M3's are in Thailand but if you're going to buy this car, make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Seems it would be easier to convert the body to M3 style rather than take an original M3 and convert everything to RHD.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

What's the VIN?
      That car is suspicious as Barry mentioned.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        I'm afraid I can't comment much on it since you're in Thailand! I'd imagine parts are expensive get there though. Depends on how devoted you are to having an M3, however, this may not be a true M3 anyway!

Obviously, the car has the full M3 treatment on the outside but there are some things that look suspicious...

- RHD when M3's are only LHD unless converted.
        - tan headliner when it should be black
        - 318/325 check control panel with low oil level indicator (only known 1 M3 to have this)
        - obviously an engine swap
        - M3 rear speaker panel and extension are completely missing
        - No ski pass (early 84 body?)
        - angled fuse box (early 84-85 body)
        - Non M3 rear seats.
        - bumper covers and decklid appear to be aftermarket

I'm not sure how rare M3's are in Thailand but if you're going to buy this car, make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Seems it would be easier to convert the body to M3 style rather than take an original M3 and convert everything to RHD.
        It's possible to do this level of conversion? I thought the body was difficult to fake. We did have regular E30s shipped in pieces here back in the 80s that were assembled into RHD E30s.

I think I should get a Vin (if it has) or something checked out on it.

Comment

Anything is possible. It could very well be a real M3, however, it doesn't explain the tan headliner, check control, missing m3 rear speaker shelf and extension, etc. If one of two of these things were missing or different that's one thing but there's a few things that don't add up and that's just from the pictures I saw on the website. There's no pics of the cluster, interior, undercarriage, etc. The body does look legit and it even has the antenna...but is it hooked up? There's a lot of questions that need to be answered. You say it's priced less than a standard convertible...perhaps it doesn't matter if it's real or not?
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            Anything is possible. It could very well be a real M3, however, it doesn't explain the tan headliner, check control, missing m3 rear speaker shelf and extension, etc. If one of two of these things were missing or different that's one thing but there's a few things that don't add up and that's just from the pictures I saw on the website. There's no pics of the cluster, interior, undercarriage, etc. The body does look legit and it even has the antenna...but is it hooked up? There's a lot of questions that need to be answered. You say it's priced less than a standard convertible...perhaps it doesn't matter if it's real or not?
            You have a damn good eye.

Actually, it's quite pointless. Either way it's clearly too dodgy and expensive for me to go out of my way to see it.

I think I should stay in the $3-6k range. $15k could get me a Mitsubishi Evolution 6!

Those things are completely original and way quicker.

Comment

I'd be interested to check it out in person anyways, never bad to scope out a few if you're in the market.
              What part of thailand are you at? You headed to the All BMW Clubs meet in Nov?
              Maybe this M car will be there as well .. should be enough critics there to sort it out

Comment

Originally posted by ethirtydavid View Post
                I'd be interested to check it out in person anyways, never bad to scope out a few if you're in the market.
                What part of thailand are you at? You headed to the All BMW Clubs meet in Nov?
                Maybe this M car will be there as well .. should be enough critics there to sort it out
                I don't think so, I haven't got myself a BMW yet. It's been really difficult finding one without rust and an M10 or M40.

If I do get one I'll be sure to meet up. November 25th, Bangkok Drag Avenue. It'll be cool to see some good examples.

I am sure it'll be there but I am also sure now that it actually isn't an M car. It's just shelled in that body. I've seen one like it with an SR lump before.

Comment

Rear seat is clearly also not from an M3 as stitching would be horizontal not vertical. Rear pillar trim should be black. I feel like this is not an M3 you could probably find out based on the VIN for sure. If it is (was) an M3 then how sad that somebody destroyed it with a motorswap and an automatic tranny and an interior from a 318.

Comment

Originally posted by SKNKWRX View Post
                    Rear seat is clearly also not from an M3 as stitching would be horizontal not vertical. Rear pillar trim should be black. I feel like this is not an M3 you could probably find out based on the VIN for sure. If it is (was) an M3 then how sad that somebody destroyed it with a motorswap and an automatic tranny and an interior from a 318.
                    Yeah. Not worth the look. I know the guy can sort this stuff out. There are some serious whacked out E30s around so it is expected.

But I am probably going to see it regardless as the owner has a shop for E30s specifically.

Comment

did you see the check panel?? That car needs HELP, I wouldnt go near that unless it had for a song.

Comment

Working...
                      X