Whats this hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this hose?

I was changing some hoses on my new to me M3 and I found this hose.
    is it supposed to be there? and what does it do?
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

That isn't supposed to be there. Those holes are supposed to be plugged up. Very strange.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

thx barry. the hose looks to have a small leak that needs to be addressed.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

I'm curious why the plugs were removed and there are fittings for the hose there in the first place.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Iirc, the early m3 cars had the two sensors found on the tstat on later cars, in the rad there.
          My car actually still has the sensors in place, but the ones being used are in the tstat now
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
            Iirc, the early m3 cars had the two sensors found on the tstat on later cars, in the rad there.
            My car actually still has the sensors in place, but the ones being used are in the tstat now
            My silver car is an early car...produced 5/87. Never had sensors in the radiator, the wiring harness is on the passenger side too. Wouldn't make sense to have two pairs of sensors. Maybe you have a 318 radiator or a euro radiator?
            Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

This is the realoem link for my car, and it shows a sensor on the drivers side. One of the holes is a plug and one is a sensor, according to realoem.

Not a definitive source, I know, but......
              Originally posted by codyep3
              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
              2010 F650gs twin
              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I have never seen an M3 with that setup and I've seen a lot over the years. RealOEM also shows the same sensor in the thermostat housing for the same car 1/87. It also shows that the late M3's had a sensor in the radiator. So no matter what year M3 you choose it shows two identical sensors 1 in the radiator and 1 in the thermostat. That just doesn't make sense as it only uses one dual temp sensor. I guess where ever your connector is determines the sensor location. I've only seen it in the thermostat housing though. I wonder if another 3 prong connector is tucked away in the harness on the drivers side somewhere.
                Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just an update. There is indeed another 3 prong aux fan connector on the drivers side under the headlight bucket. I believe it is zip tied in place but it is there! I didn't realize it at the time but I wired up my puller fan to the low speed terminal from this connector as it runs through the relay. I changed headlights today and my fan stopped working. When I looked at the wiring I found this connector. I accidentally disconnected the wiring for the fan when I switched headlights.

Comment

Working...
                  X