Clear All

More pics from last night

Vaporust bath for 24 hours
    Before

After

24 hour simple green soak
    Before

After

Messed up on the handles. Sanding to respray tonight.

Nearly there on trim. It's looking really good but revealing some of the imperfections in the metal (small dents, etc) hopefully I can tap them flat with a wood dowel or something this weekend. I'll need sunlight for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok I'm getting the hang of it now. Lessons learned: Evapo-Rust is really, really good for this. It takes off all the rust, most corrosion, and the old yellow zinc plating. Only thing it won't touch is grease or other sticky stuff.

So my new method is
      1) 24 hour soak in Simple Green for degrease
      2) 24 hour soak in Evapo-Rust (after tumbler if it's bad)
      3) Bench polisher (not there yet)

Some pics

After 24 hours in ER (replacing the broken speed nut and corroded thin washers at the bottom)

After 24 hours in SG

Sanding + ER got all the gunk and rust off my rear subframe mounts, including the surface rust on the threads. Ready to prime and paint.

Door handles came out well. Need to beat out some dents in the external B pillar covers but they did well too.

Set up 2 tubs of SG and 2 of ER last night. Taking pics of each item going into each bucket and putting the plastic bags on top of the bucket to keep things straight. Can't put too many similar items in at once or it would get confusing.

Last edited by CurrusDei; 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

More clean bolts...

...and an early Christmas present. I'm weird to shop for. The little guy in the top left is the same one that was asleep in the engine bay several pages back. Much bigger today!

Comment

I've soaked hose clamps, bolts and other bits in Ballistol. Cleans and protects. Even the cosmoline discoloration shed off after a soak of ~ 48hrs (garage is cold, and I didn't get to them any earlier).
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

This thread is turning into another xworks style "minor rust repair" epic rebuild thread, complete with the ridiculously unassuming title. ;D

Well done on the restoration so far, sir, and fantastic documentation of the effort. I'll be using a lot of your research and refined techniques when it comes time to finally restore some of the areas in the engine bay of my M3s (one was lightly damaged by a disgusting mouse nest, the other by shoddy repairs).

I'm looking forward to more updates, and seeing this car returned to the road. :D

Comment

Nice on the new rad. Those things aren't cheap!
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

2.5 Years In... M3 Build Thread...PAINT COMPLETE!

Car is almost done at Magnum. They had an ownership change so that transition slowed things down a bit. It's been good the car is out of the garage because painting and polishing makes a mess. Don't need any overspray or buffer wheel fly-away fuzz on the car. A few pics

Cleaned only

Polished

Comparisons

Some pieces cleaned up well, but are too pitted and are being replaced

Some pieces are turning into jewelry. I'm literally using jewlers rouge polish on some of these. Some would call that a problem. Not me!

The tool you see clamped onto some of the fasteners is called the Notchead. Some hot rod mechanics made it specifically for polishing fasteners and won some awards at SEMA for it...

Lot more polishing then onto plating!

Comment

looks terrific. but a lot of that hardware is coated, so unless you re-coat the steel bits will rust.. guess you're going to re-plate using the zinc chromate kit?
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    looks terrific. but a lot of that hardware is coated, so unless you re-coat the steel bits will rust.. guess you're going to re-plate using the zinc chromate kit?
                    Yep. Caswell Zinc electroplate with yellow chromate solution - will look like OEM when done. I have some zinc blackener as well for the black bits. All the box to the left of the buffer.

Comment

Coming along

Comment

Great work
                        I am SO doing this.
                        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

So after refreshing hardware for awhile, whats the best method or combo of methods you have found?
                          Current:
                          1989 325i
                          1988 M3
                          1987 325ic
                          Past:
                          2001 330ci
                          2001 M3

Comment

2.5 Years In... M3 Build Thread...PAINT COMPLETE!

Funny you should ask. I just tried out Muriatic Acid...it's my new favorite thing. Basically I've been polishing the old zinc plating instead of the metal underneath. That's fine for the ones I've posted above, I'll just re color them, but going forward I'm doing acid.

If the part is degreased, you can just drop it in the acid, it hisses like an Alka-Seltzer, and rust, zinc plating (yellow and the silver base), and basically everything else, comes off in a few seconds. I've been waiting until it stops hissing, then dunking it in water/baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Then you can polish the underlying steel a bit if you want, then re-plate in new zinc, and re-yellow.

I tried the acid out on some parts I plan to replace and thus hadn't cleaned.

This bolt went in zinc plated with the yellow dingy and fading.

Comment

I've used muriatic acid to clean the rust out of fuel tanks with great success. This build is incredible. Your attention to detail and your documentation is by far the best I've ever seen. Keep the posts and pics coming please!

Comment

More goodies today. Copper stuff is for negative charge electroplating and the bmw part is the fuel door stop

Comment

Working...
                                X