No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's how I felt. Just start digging into it and you will figure it out as you go.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Well almost a month later and the radio is done. There's a big thread on it in car audio (reversing a hackjob) but here's the process in a few pics

The full diy

Alright gents, I’m off for Christmas and feel like doing something productive an non-work-related. Unfortunately for me, I’m away from the M3, but fortunately for you. That means I’m going to do the DIY.

OK, keep in mind that there is a WIDE degree of variability in E30 sound system wiring. This will work for a 1989 E30 M3 with a fader. I’ve been asked this a lot, so I’ll state it here up front: THIS DOES NOT COVER THE TELESCOPING POWER ANTENNA BECAUSE THE M3 HAS A FIXED ANTENNA.

Also, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANY WIRING WORK.

Alright, all that done, here’s how to put an RMT 200 in your E30 M3, or similar E30 (with some variation probably).
      1) Acquire the necessary parts
      a. Volkswagen RMT-200 stereo: http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...6Q0051228B/114
      b. Metra 71-1784 Reverse Wiring Harness: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WTF7K/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1
      c. Metra 40-VW20 Radio Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BERQU/...190_TE_3p_dp_1
      d. Metra 89-30-0900 Din Trim Rings, 4 Pack: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WW68K/...332200_TE_item
      e. Butt Connector, Heat Shrink, 18-20 AWG: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) And Tools/Supplies
      a. Ratcheting Terminal Crimper (this style worked well for me): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      b. Wire Cutters
      c. Acetone/mixing bowl
      d. Dremmel with cutting bits (flexible extension helps a LOT here)
      e. Measuring tape or Caliper
      f. Painter’s tape

3) Pull out whatever old, crappy stereo your previous owner installed

4) I found it easiest to just cut off all the crap that the PO had hacked into the factory harness. Leave as much room as possible here. A member later suggested it would be better to stagger the cuts on the wires to leave room for the crimp connectors to overlap when you put the wire wrap on, making the final product thinner. This would be a good idea, but mine was just fine with this approach.

Don’t worry about this little guy. I think its related to an outside temperature sensor for the OBC, either way. Its not related to this install. I just taped mine down and left it alone. However, see the flat brass plate to the left of it with the foam mostly dry rotted off of it? That pulls straight out. Clean it off, get some good foam tape with a single side adhesive, and replace it. This will keep rattles away.

5) Attach crimp connectors to all wire ends

6) Before you connect the Metra harness to the OEM harness, go ahead and do the 12v safety switch jump. Apparently this is some kind of anti-theft VW feature. I got around it by soldering the blue wire into the red wire.

Remove the red wire from the harness connector. Note i had already pulled the red wire here so don't pull the pin I have the key in, this is for demonstration ONLY. I found it easier to pull both the red and blue, then solder, then replace them into the housing.

You are trying to depress two metal tabs on the side of the pin itself (that stick out onto catches in the plastic housing) back into the pin housing. See below for these pins - think wings on an airplane. The tabs you need to push back into the pin housing are the small ones pointing down in the picture below.

I opened up the pin housing of the red cable to provide better room to solder

To power the safety terminal I used the blue wire from the Metra harness. Stripped it to expose the bare wire, taped it on top of the red wire to hold its position.

Then after practice on scrap pieces of wire (which my PO graciously gave me much of) I went for the solder (sorry for the crappy pics)

Then re-close the red pin housing

Then replace the red and blue wires (assuming you removed both) to their original positions in the harness connector. You may have to press the blue one tight to the red wire to make it fit back into the housing. You will now have the blue wire coming out of its original position in the harness, and arching back into the red connector’s position.

7) Now its time to connect the Metra harness to the OEM harness. Here is the correct color matching scheme

And an Illustration of what it looks like finished, except for my note below. If you have done the safety jump solder already this wont be an issue

Also, don’t forget the radio adapter. I wont insult your intelligence by walking you through how to do it, but for the sake of completeness…don’t forget

8 ) I needed to bypass my amplifier. Its easy. The amp is in the trunk on the left hand side up near where the trunk hinges. There are a ton of write-ups on this so if yours differs from mine you shouldn’t have to look far for a solution.

Here’s what my wiring looked like. Yours may differ

9) Once you’re up and running on the electrical/functional side, its time to make it fit. You can just push it in and live with the unit jutting out from the trim a bit (4mm).

If you want to go with a flush fit, proceed.

Remove the center trim piece (there are screws at the bottom and the top, including some inside, don’t force anything). Again, tons of DIYs on how to do this so I won’t repeat here. Once its off, I found it helpful to tape off the lower section so plastic dust/shards didn’t fall in and make a mess.

You’re going to want to use the second smallest of the Metra surrounds, but first…

When you insert the radio, the back of the trim butts up against a plastic bezel recessed into the radio surround trim. You’ll see it on yours, but it has been removed here. I did this with a Dremmel tool with a flex extension and a cutting disc. Work carefully.

10) Once you work the bezel smooth (toward the front) you’ll see there Is still a bit of a lip on the back of where the bezel used to be. Fortunately this is almost exactly 4mm back from the front of the original bezel (basically, the bezel is about 4mm thick, now what you have taken it out, trim the new bezel to fit and push it snuggly into place behind where the back of the original bezel used to be. That’s confusing, so here’s a picture

The room from the front of the trim piece to the start of the bezel should now be 7mm

Whiiich, is also…

Now yes, the radio does flex out a bit, so if you did the measurement above in the MIDDLE of the unit, it would be thicker. I didn’t care because the new bezel fits in so well behind the lip left from shaving down the old bezel that I didn’t feel like trying to fit it back another millimeter or two.

11) The clips on the back need to be snug, as you can see here, there's a gap.

Stack the smaller bezel on back of the main bezel, trim till it clicks and has a tight fit

12) Now for glue. In my research, the best glue for ABS is... ABS. I used the original bezel that I cut off the car... Chopped it to pieces

melt it with acetone

And use as glue. I love that the glue for the new bezel IS the old bezel. That's some Lion King circle of life stuff right there

13) And test fit

14) There you go, RMT 200 in an E30. Your 25 year old car can now do Bluetooth audio streaming and hands free calling.

Last edited by CurrusDei; 03-29-2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Nicely done.
        Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Comment

So what's next ?
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

New M3 Owner...How'd I do?

Funny you should ask. Anything else I should do while doing a dash swap? I'm thinking

- heater core
            - weather stripping around AC ducting
            - dash/error light battery
            - new M sticker on gauge cluster

- and separately but simultaneously... new windshield.

Comment

Dont put an m sticker on your cluster. Send it to greg at bavarian restoration. He will polish the plastic, refresh the m emblem to look like new, and pretty much refresh any other part of the cluster.

Bavarian Restoration specializes in vintage BMW instrument clusters. However, we can perform repairs, ​ restoration, and customization for many  clusters and vehicles.  Please contact us today...

This would look cheap and cheesey, in my opinion at least

Last edited by jhaurimn; 07-29-2014, 06:48 AM.
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Be very careful with the A pillars. BMW Dealer recommended shop to me and they tore up my left one.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thanks for the referral on the cluster. The raised resin sticker was never in the picture. Planned to use Pukar Designs to replicate the flat one. I'll look into the resto service though.

One of my A pillars is already FUBAR. Any recommendations on where to get new covers?

Comment

Originally posted by Zinoberrot View Post
                    Thanks for the referral on the cluster. The raised resin sticker was never in the picture. Planned to use Pukar Designs to replicate the flat one. I'll look into the resto service though.

One of my A pillars is already FUBAR. Any recommendations on where to get new covers?
                    I dont believe you can get them anymore. If thats the case, best bet would be to reupholster your old ones.

I have had two si boards refreshed from greg, and I also had him refresh my afm and ground cables. He sells quality stuff and includes warranty on most things
                    Last edited by jhaurimn; 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM.
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Zinoberrot View Post

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                      I dont believe you can get them anymore. If thats the case, best bet would be to reupholster your old ones.

I have had two si boards refreshed from greg, and I also had him refresh my afm and ground cables. He sells quality stuff and includes warranty on most things

They have been NLA for three plus years. I wish Mobile Traditions or what ever their name is now would get to work and fill the back log on them.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Tear down underway

Comment

Good luck :) cluster is the easy part lol
                          Current:
                          1989 325i
                          1988 M3
                          1987 325ic
                          Past:
                          2001 330ci
                          2001 M3

Comment

Based on the state of the carpet near the handbrake i think i'll be taking out the whole carpet for a thorough cleaning and possibly redying.

Comment

A bit more. Is this how "Dirty Thirty" came about?

Comment

What brand stereo is that? I love the way it blends so well!

Comment

Working...
                                X