Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded alternator bushing/bracket?

Hello board,

I was trying to find a thread that I saw once on s14.net (many years ago) about an upgraded bracket (redisigned) and special bushings (not sure if poly or derlin) but seems I can't find that thread. Problem is that my alternator is not facing stright with the belt and I already broke my "new" bracket arm in half (I did weld it to fix momentary) in less than 5k kms on the clock with all new including bushes, clips, nuts/bolts bracket, etc from OE BMW parts.

As we know the s14 vibration is high and therefore it likes to loose bolts and then start breaking parts with time or abuse so I would like to know if someone knows and good upgraded alternative for brackets and bushes to aid this problem?

Thanks!

PS: Asking here since s14.net is unable to post a thread for some internal problem.
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Subscribed.

Had to do a front end refresh last winter when my lower alternator bolt sheered off in the timing case cover...

Comment

There are upgrades but they are expensive and more race car oriented. If you want to keep the bracket from breaking, make sure the alt bushings are bosch white or new rubber (i had no prob with poly) and that there isn't too much tension on the belt. Welding more meat along the back of the bracket will keep it from splitting as well.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you happent o have the correct P/N for the white Bosch bushes you tell me?
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

The white bushing part number is, "Bosch 1 120 323 001". E30 M3 require 4 of these. They cost between $7.50 - $10.00 each.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I believe that the white bushings are NLA. I have been using the black bushings and have not had a problem. They may need replacing more often but they are still available.

Cheers,

Jim
              sigpic

Comment

I contacted Pelican and they seem to not have them in stock anymore, however a sales representative told me he could still source them for about $13,50 a piece

Comment

Update.

I ended up machining locally my own bushes. I will report later once is installed and some miles on them. It's way stiffer than the crap OEM rubber that was shot after 4k miles on it, but it does flex a bit which means is not nylon plastic which is rigid.

-Diego

Comment

if those work out I'd be interested in a set

Comment

I had the same problem you had.
                      What I found out was I installed the locking clip on the wrong side.
                      This prematurely destroyed the new bushings...

Not sure How to put these in words, but the part of the alternator that connects to the adjustment rod should stick out a little longer than the mounting side.
                      To achieve this, I believe the locking clip should be installed on the same side as the adjustment rod.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X