Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasieg hub sleeve question

Hola,

My recent acquisition ('89 325is) came with a Nasieg 5 front lug conversion, E36 hubs, E46 M3 front brakes and a bad front wheel bearing.

Bought an ECS replacement hub kit and got everything removed from the king pin. Where I'm stuck is separating the inner hub sleeve from the inner bearing bearing race. Has anyone run into this problem and figured out a solution?

If I can't get these two separated, what are my options here? I don't see anything Nasieg advertised anymore so finding a replacement sleeve seems unlikely.

Attached Files

Managed to get it apart. Used my bench vise and a nut of the right size with a hammer to drive the inner ring out.

Now, there's a different question: during reassembly I noticed that the standard E36 inner bearing dust shield won't fit. Is everyone with a sleeve kit just running their setups without them? I can see dirt getting into the bearing on the inside pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by I6V8 View Post
      Managed to get it apart. Used my bench vise and a nut of the right size with a hammer to drive the inner ring out.
      nice fix.

Originally posted by I6V8 View Post
      Now, there's a different question: during reassembly I noticed that the standard E36 inner bearing dust shield won't fit.
      did it have one previous ? will the e30 part work ? i know the outer dust cap for the e30 is not available, but the inner shield should still be.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

nice fix.

did it have one previous ? will the e30 part work ? i know the outer dust cap for the e30 is not available, but the inner shield should still be.
        It did not. Because the sleeve piece in the pic above is pretty wide, any dust cap would need to have an inner diameter that matches the outer diameter of said sleeve. Kit manufacturers should really include those. Anyone whose running these kits, is like going for a track or autox setup with tons of dust and dirt. That'll kill the bearings fast.

I guess one could try dremel the E36 ones to widen the opening to fit over the sleeve during installation, push it outward over the rear bearing and seal it against the sleeve with some temp resistant RTV.
        Attached Files

Comment

the design doesn't seem all that thought out. i completely agree with your assessment.

Comment

Working...
          X