No announcement yet.

Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. Two day ground shipping from GC, pretty hefty bill for these I should add. Total was 171 shipped.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

i made some from surplus pipe from a welding shop.. $ = free, and about an hour of time

Comment

Originally posted by jahnaboi View Post

Here's a quick mock up. It shows the rear shock mount on top of the shock tower rather than under, with the spacer being bolted in between. What do you guys think? Think it'll work? I do think a reinforcement plate would be necessary at the bottom of the shock tower.

I currently have e30 GC RSMs where the bottom is perfectly flat. This would allow the spacer to seal with a gasket maker material. It would be necessary to drill the holes of the urethane larger for the e36 shock shaft.
        My spacer with my Ground Control Rear Shock Mount on top of it with the stock rsm bracket on the bottom as a reinforcement.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

wait wait wait wait wait so those GC's didn't shorten it by enough so you used a spacer and a long bolt too? Is that spacer thing hollow inside? Rear shock towers fail with regular shock mounts, if that's hollow and thin it will probably crush it or it will cut into the shock tower over time. The GC thing looks at least 2" taller than stock was that alone really not good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
            wait wait wait wait wait so those GC's didn't shorten it by enough so you used a spacer and a long bolt too? Is that spacer thing hollow inside? Rear shock towers fail with regular shock mounts, if that's hollow and thin it will probably crush it or it will cut into the shock tower over time. The GC thing looks at least 2" taller than stock was that alone really not good enough?
            The GC tall rsms are only an inch taller than the originals. The total length of the spacer that I added was another 1.25" (+ or - .15") for a total of 2.25 inches which is need to match the stock e30 shocks.

Yes the spacer is hollow inside and no it will not cut into the shock tower and again, the stock rsm plate acts like a reinforcement from the bottom.

I opted to go through with my original plan for safety issues. I didn't want to take the chance of my shocks bottoming out, ever.

Here's another picture.

I'll snap a picture of the bottom side when I have a chance.

Comment

so this gives rear shock about 3.5" of extra travel? Why didn't you get a pair of Mustang Fox-Body shocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                so this gives rear shock about 3.5" of extra travel? Why didn't you get a pair of Mustang Fox-Body shocks?
                Trust me I wish it were that easy because it would be done in 2.5 seconds. Lol. But, they won't support my 700lb spring rates. My shocks are from a ground control coil-over kit. The mustang koni's (off the shelf) are not the same as the modified/re-valved ones that ground control sells for their kits.

And its about 2.25" (+ or -) travel to compensate for the length of the shaft of the e36 m3 shocks.

Comment

hehe jasper

do this man.

This is the next project for the silver car.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                  PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Lol might as well tub out the rear and do a vette rear end.

Comment

Working...
                    X