Are these worth the trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these worth the trouble?

So I do a little research and decide that I want to do the 5-lug swap, and I was lucky enough to find a 318ti at the junkyard......only thing is, I'm finding out now that I didn't do enough research. I was going to use just the hubs with my control arms, but if I'm reading the stickied write-up correctly, they will not fit an 87.

So, that leaves the option of using the whole control arm assembly, BUT, here's the situation.....

As you can see, the pass side has a very noticeable issue. I'm not sure what happened, but the car at the yard had a lot of bondo on that side in the rocker area and lower rear quarter. I digitally mic'd the distance between the RTAB's, and there is no noticeable difference between the two CA's. No difference with a straightedge going bushing to bushing either, although there is a obvious difference going along the section of the arm that is damaged.

Control arms are usually pretty solid, but I don't want to waste time and effort (as well as risk safety) on a bunk suspension part.

I think I know what the consensus will be, but I just want a second opinion anyway. This part was working for somebody, but that don't make it right. ;)
    Jason

bad bend, dump it. not worth it.
    sigpic
    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Ehh, that's what I thought; thanks for the reply.

Guess I'll have some hubs for sale, soon.....:p
      Jason

Comment

how much? i can meet you partway? pmmmmmddddd
        1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
        1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
        1974 2002tii / stock
        2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

i think those hubs will fit an e30 arm. don't use the control arms you have there as levant says, that bent one is crap.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking of just picking up some early-model e30 arms and transferring the hubs over; it will be a good excuse to replace the bearings and bushings anyway. I was just trying to keep costs down since I'm in the middle of an engine swap....piling one major project on top of another is rarely ever a good idea.

Not to mention, this car needs to be finished soon.........I'm starting to get tired of the e36. :p
            Jason

Comment

The bearing inner diameter on 318ti's is definitely smaller than late e30's, and the same as early e30's. Question is, what's the OD? I have a hunch early/late e30 arms are the same and just the bearings are different, only way to know for sure would be to find out the outer diameter of both of the bearings though

EDIT:
              OOPS, hunch wrong.

ti and early e30 - Wheel Bearing Rear (39X72X37) (2 Per Car)
              late e30 - (42X75X37) (2 Per Car)

That's silly they did that but i guess they did.

Comment

Working...
              X