5 lug swap worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug swap worth it?

The time has come for a change to my car. I'm on the fence whether or not to go 5 lug. I've got some parts lined up for the swap, but then my friend shows me all sorts of 4 lug wheel options, so that just shits on my decision. At this point the car is not tracked at all so I don't need HUGE brakes. My car could use all new brake components (calipers, rotors, pads, hoses etc) so that is part of the reason I'm considering the swap. Plus my pass side strut housing is bent from an altercation w/ a roll of tar paper @ 75mph on the highway:hitler: so that needs to be replaced anyway. One of my friends did the swap not too long ago, so I'll have some help w/ the process. Just want to see what you guys think of it. E30 M is out, too damn expensive, there is a setup on s14 for 3200. Thats too much for me. I'm hoping to keep the project in the 1500 range. Thanks
    5 lug!
    34.21%
    stay 4 lug and get new wheels
    44.74%
    buy an Outback wagon....
    21.05%

The poll is expired.

09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
    87 BMW 325is
    a few bicycles

Well it all depends on what look your after. We have a lot of cool oem wheels to choose from. If you need a 5 lug swap, hit me up. I have everything from front to rear. Trailings arms and subframe have all newish akg bushing and what not. I'm not to far from you either.

Comment

I would spend the money on a 4 lug bbk. UUC kit is cheap and seems to be getting decent reviews. I have the e36m and 318ti setup and if I had to do over I would have went that route instead.

Originally posted by Roysneon
      $5 shipped?
      Originally posted by MarkD
      You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

$1500 is totally do-able for an E30 M3 setup. There have been a few sets that have gone for that price range, you just have to be ready to pull the trigger. (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193415)

Everything else is going to add up quick though, bushings, brake lines, rotors, pads, etc, etc.

Good luck whatever you choose!

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
        '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
        '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
        '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Get a Subbie...

Personally, I would do the 5-lug swap all over again. I've gone through a lot of wheels and love it.

Comment

My wife has a 5spd Legacy wagon and I keep stealing her car b/c mine has been neglected this past year due to me riding my bicycle everywhere. I got the bug to get mine going again and here I sit. Thanks for the input guys
            87 BMW 325is
            a few bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
              I would spend the money on a 4 lug bbk. UUC kit is cheap and seems to be getting decent reviews. I have the e36m and 318ti setup and if I had to do over I would have went that route instead.
              +1

I went e36m + 318ti 5 lug. Did it for the brakes and because I love the looks of the DSII wheels.

There's plenty of OEM wheels to choose from, but they're all heavy and you're stuck with the same issues.

Now that I've done it, I actually want to go back to 4 lug. 5 lug isn't bad, and my brakes are amazing, but there's an element of tossability that's missing in the car. It tramlines on grooved pavement and the right 17" rubber is hard to find. I'd go 225/40 all around but that's an impossible size.

My rear wheels weigh 46lbs each!

I carry a can of fix-a-flat as my spare.

Spend the money on APEX 17x8 wheels and/or a BBK.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                $1500 is totally do-able for an E30 M3 setup. There have been a few sets that have gone for that price range, you just have to be ready to pull the trigger. (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193415)

Everything else is going to add up quick though, bushings, brake lines, rotors, pads, etc, etc.

Good luck whatever you choose!
                Too bad he just sold it that was a nice set up I sold him springs and shocks and sways just so you have an idea what they look like with tec3 with one coil cut in front and no hats on neither front or rear and billy sports...
                Here some pics with style 32's staggered and Borbets type A 16x7.5 Click image for larger version

Name:	grey beamer 3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	7127628

Click image for larger version

Name:	grey beamer 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7127629

Name:	grey beamer.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	7127630

Name:	buzza 2.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	7127631

Name:	Buzza4.jpg
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	7127632
                Last edited by zenn0ne; 01-19-2011, 01:12 AM.
                sigpicBEST OF BOTH BOOSTED WORLDS

Comment

People are charging $3k for e30m3 stuff cause they know they'll find a sucker willing to pay it. But there are plenty of guys selling it for $1.5k. You just have to shop around.

Even at $1.5k I still think it's over priced. But it's M stuff so...ya know.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I have a 5 lug swap and a lot of times I wish I had just gone with a BBK.

mtechII 5 lug S50

Comment

I'm not in a huge rush to get this done. I'm just bummed because my car is quite unpleasant to drive w/ the screwed up strut housing. Zennone, your car looks tits!
                      87 BMW 325is
                      a few bicycles

Comment

Name:	DSC00143.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	7127643

Name:	DSC00146.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	7127644

Name:	DSC00164.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	7127645 Thanx but wait until this 800+whp monster is done sorry for thread jacking just got excited

Comment

^just don't wreck your keyboard.... Nice car!
                          87 BMW 325is
                          a few bicycles

Comment

HAHAHAHA so what ya gonna do 5lug or stay 4 with BBK

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                              +1

I went e36m + 318ti 5 lug. Did it for the brakes and because I love the looks of the DSII wheels. One of my favorite wheels on our cars

There's plenty of OEM wheels to choose from, but they're all heavy and you're stuck with the same issues.

Now that I've done it, I actually want to go back to 4 lug. 5 lug isn't bad, and my brakes are amazing, but there's an element of tossability that's missing in the car. It tramlines on grooved pavement and the right 17" rubber is hard to find. I'd go 225/40 all around but that's an impossible size. I'm running 225/45/16

My rear wheels weigh 46lbs each!

I carry a can of fix-a-flat as my spare. haha nice

Spend the money on APEX 17x8 wheels and/or a BBK.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                              $5 shipped?
                              Originally posted by MarkD
                              You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X