No announcement yet.

5 lug swap worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tramlining and OEM wheel weights have literally nothing to do with 5 lug swapping... tramlining is a function of caster, toe, tire size, and tire wear. You can find a crap ton of nice light 16x8s in 5 lug if you look around. The last thing I want if I did a 5 lug would be to run OEM DSIIs. FWIW I had some insanely nasty tramlining on my e46 when I first bought my 19s. In my case it was because the tires were worn on the inside and were too wide for the wheel size.

But anyway, I'm curious to see more input on this thread. I have some e36 M3 koni adjustables (bought for $50) and 5x120 corvette offset wheels, so a 5 lug seems like a good plan of attack.. as long as you don't break the bank buying overpriced parts on S14, I would guess a 5 lug setup would have to be inherently better. I love the idea of an e36 front strut because of how easy they are to service. I hate messing with balljoints and tie rod ends when changing struts on e30. I prefer the e36 setup with 3 big ass bolts and a strut mounted sway bar endlink. As long as the alignment geometry and integrity stays intact, I don't see how it could be a bad idea, especially buying cheap used parts.

So far I've spent $50 total and all I need to do to finish is buy M3 front spindles and brakes, and ti rears. So I don't see it costing more than $1000 when all is said and done.

WTB: early e30 sedan front doors

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
      Tramlining and OEM wheel weights have literally nothing to do with 5 lug swapping... tramlining is a function of caster, toe, tire size, and tire wear. You can find a crap ton of nice light 16x8s in 5 lug if you look around. The last thing I want if I did a 5 lug would be to run OEM DSIIs. FWIW I had some insanely nasty tramlining on my e46 when I first bought my 19s. In my case it was because the tires were worn on the inside and were too wide for the wheel size.

But anyway, I'm curious to see more input on this thread. I have some e36 M3 koni adjustables (bought for $50) and 5x120 corvette offset wheels, so a 5 lug seems like a good plan of attack.. as long as you don't break the bank buying overpriced parts on S14, I would guess a 5 lug setup would have to be inherently better. I love the idea of an e36 front strut because of how easy they are to service. I hate messing with balljoints and tie rod ends when changing struts on e30. I prefer the e36 setup with 3 big ass bolts and a strut mounted sway bar endlink. As long as the alignment geometry and integrity stays intact, I don't see how it could be a bad idea, especially buying cheap used parts.

So far I've spent $50 total and all I need to do to finish is buy M3 front spindles and brakes, and ti rears. So I don't see it costing more than $1000 when all is said and done.
      Is that pretty much the "bastard kit" they talk about from GC? I have a set of GC front strut housings with the camber plates and koni SA's and am considering doing a 5 lug swap on my 332is. There was a site a bit ago this guy made a comprehensive step by step table of what to do with part #'s and all.

So for a proper set up you need?
      ti rear trails? I was told just 96-98 4cyl Z3's... and just swapping the hub and brakes as the arms are different....right?
      Front requires E36 M arms and spindles (don't have) and GC strut housings with camber plates (check)

Is there a definitive thread on this minus the bullshit?

R3V g's please advise.
      Originally posted by 325Projectz
      don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
      :nice:

Comment

DSII wheels are heavy as hell. The best mod on e36's to get rid of those wheels. Something like 22lbs up front and near 25 in the back without tires mounted. On top of that, most people will run them with original e36 tire size (225/45 and 245/40) and those are an whole inch bigger than factory tire diameter. Yes, that will make e30 handle and feel like a god damn monorail and renders e36m brakes useless.

When I ran Style 68's (lighter than DS) with original e46 tires (ZRi) cut handles amazing. I had to disconnect rear sway bar, because car was understeering as if I was on stock suspension. Car stopped on a dime, as well. 4 pounds per wheel make a big difference.

Going to Style 67 (even lighter) with 215/45 (Autoguard, shitty chinese tires) all around, car got it's spunk back. Braking improved, handling improved. I still had rear sway disconnected.

Now I am on my 16" bottle caps (lightest to date wheels) with proper 205/50 Nitto tires. Nite and day difference. It's sound stupid saying that car handles better, than on 245's, but it's damn true. Car sticks in turns like spiderman around sky scrapers. Stopping distance is the shortest it's ever been. I am actually looking forward to reconnecting my rear sway bar.

I could blame it all on tires, but wheel weight made a significant difference as well.

Would I do 5-lug swap all over again? Absolutely. Without a doubt, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It looks great, it improves brakes, gives you a lot of wheel options, and if you're resourceful enough, it can be done really cheap.

Comment

Well, poop...

This was the difinitive link, but it looks like it's gone now. I looked at just a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it'll come back up, but I doubt it...
          Originally posted by LJ851
          kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
          ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
          #teamross
          Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

it will be back... Have to pay for the domain and waiting for my other domain to run out... next week at latest.

Comment

Ah that's yours? Amazing resource! Glad to see it will be back. Thanks for posting it!
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

it's back, hope PM's will stop, hehe

Comment

Im in a similar boat, i love a lot of the oem 5lugs but im not sure its worth the money, my issue with 4 lug is finding decent looking wheels(preferably a set not already seen on an e30) also finding the right offset in a 4 lug is proving difficult, but i know most 16in oems will fit perfect

Comment

I bought my car with 5lug. Honestly I wouldnt have done it myself. To much of a hassle for not much gain. If you reallllllly wanna run 5 lug wheels get adapters. E36 suspension was designed for e36's. Keep it simple stupid is my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pussy30 View Post
                      I bought my car with 5lug. Honestly I wouldnt have done it myself. To much of a hassle for not much gain. If you reallllllly wanna run 5 lug wheels get adapters. E36 suspension was designed for e36's. Keep it simple stupid is my thoughts.
                      I concur. I bought my S52 cabrio with PO-installed 5-lug. The suspension swap is nicely done & nothing wrong with it, but I'd rather have cheap-to-maintain stock E30 stuff myself.
                      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Working...
                      X