difference in offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference in offset?

Is their a thread that lists how the offset will change from the stock e30 setup to various 5 lug setups?

I ask because I was told conflicting info about whether wheels will fit or not and I would like to test mount them without having to swap the suspension. I figure that once they're on the 4 lug with one bolt i'll be able to visualize how they will sit on the 5 lug if I know how the offset changes.

Thanks!
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

E30 M3 moves the hub out about 5mm, e36 stuff moves it about 13mm. Offset is a measurement for wheels, it has nothing to do with cars.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

e36 stuff your going to need around a et 41 to get the wheel flush.

Some test fitting with et41 DS1's

Front

Rear

et23

Originally posted by Roysneon
      $5 shipped?
      Originally posted by MarkD
      You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
        e36 stuff your going to need around a et 41 to get the wheel flush.
        an offset number doesn't mean anything without the wheel's width, it's completely dependent upon it.

and those 2 sets of wheels you pictured are different widths.
        8380 Laboratories
        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Actually they are both 7.5 in width.

The DS1 are 17's and the style 5's are 16's but that shouldn't affect offsett

Originally posted by Roysneon
          $5 shipped?
          Originally posted by MarkD
          You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

The style 5's are 8" wide
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

So basically running 16x7.5 et20 in front could work, but the 16x9 et20 is going to give me mexipoke in the rear?

from what i have read, regular e36 runs roughly et20 and e36m3 runs et35. is that anywhere close to accurate? and if it is, then im going to want to run somewhere around et35 for a 16x8 wheel in the front and et20 for a 16x8 wheel in the back right?

i understand how offset is measured, but i dont understand how that is applied to the car with suspensions from two different setups (e36m3 and e36ti)
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Go by this

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                E30 M3 moves the hub out about 5mm, e36 stuff moves it about 13mm. Offset is a measurement for wheels, it has nothing to do with cars.
                If the wheels fit on your 4 lug setup, imagine them 5mm further out with an e30 M3 setup and 13mm further out with an e36 setup.

Both stock and normal e36 setups will push the hub out the same amount. The caster is the only difference between the two I believe.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Go by this

If the wheels fit on your 4 lug setup, imagine them 5mm further out with an e30 M3 setup and 13mm further out with an e36 setup.

Both stock and normal e36 setups will push the hub out the same amount. The caster is the only difference between the two I believe.
                  well im running e36m3 up front, and I was under the impression that their is a difference between normal e36 vs e36m3 stuff. (other than caster)

other than that one question, that is the EXACT info i was looking for. thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Go by this

How much further out will they be with a complete z3 trailing arm setup?

Comment

18mm with z3(i6) hubs

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                        18mm with z3(i6) hubs
                        How much more do they stick out with the hubs and the trailing arms?

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                          from what i have read, regular e36 runs roughly et20 and e36m3 runs et35. is that anywhere close to accurate?
                          this is the wrong way of figuring this out. the wheels are different widths, so you can't compare them like this, it's apples and oranges.

the advice E30SPDFRK gave you is spot on.
                          8380 Laboratories
                          M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Working...
                          X