Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's GOOOOOO 5-lug! (e36 discussion inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sokay

GC sells a coilover kit that uses the e30 m3 "strut", but has an e36 mounts at the bottom to run e36 hubs versus the traditional e30 welded-in spindle.

HOWEVER: GC sells 2 kits. A e36 non-M and an e36 M3 version. I want to run 16" wheels, and I know that selection for e36 m3 5-lug is very limited as not very many 16" wheels are large enough inside the drop-rim to clear the larger M3 brakes.

I was thinking of ordering the non-M kit, however; I wanted to know cold hard facts about the non-M vs the m3 in terms of hub size, brake diameter, caliper clearence, etc.

So, my main questions are:
    A) Would my brakes be smaller and clear most (if not all) 16" wheels if I ran e36 non-M hubs/brakes versus running e36 M3 hubs/brakes?
    B) What would running e36 hubs do in terms of Offset? Does anyone have any specs on this when comparing the hubs to normal e30 specs? Are e36 non-m hubs smaller in offset than the e36 M3 stuff?
    C) I know running traditional e36 struts messes with camber and castor, but with the GC setup being based of the e30 M3, Im assuming castor isn't affected. However, what would it do to the camber? Would running traditional e30 control arms would not do anything to the camber? Or would the hub geometry of the e36 throw things off slightly?

This would solve my front setup

My rear would be a fusion of e30 rear arms, and what I believe to be Z3 2.8 hubs/brakes as people say these are direct bolt on at the hub

I am not sure about the rear setup yet, but I am currently researching it
    Last edited by JinormusJ; 11-28-2013, 09:11 PM.

I'm new at this but in the process of doing a 5 lug swap. Heres what I have learned.
    A. Non M brakes will fit down to a 15" wheel
    B. if you use E36 M3 fronts you'll have to use an E36 offset.
    C. You can use E36 M3 or non M struts. It's the knuckles that need to be M because
    Of the mounting points. Also 96+ M3 control arms and 96+ knuckles are what you want to use. That will set your caster right.
    As far as the rear. Any 318TI or Z3 trailing arm is a direct bolt in. The hubs will not bolt onto E30 trailing arms. The TI, Z3 and Z3M all usable different brakes. Use whichever you get and use the parking brake cable for whatever TA you have.

Everyone. Please feel free to correct me as I have not done this before but I am about to do this very soon.
    Originally posted by Nicademus
    My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Bah
      So confusing...

So then, if I ran e36 non-M hubs/spindles in the front, I would have to use e36 non-M offsets, correct?

Thanks for the info; it helped clear some of the fog. All this is good stuff to know, especially since none, if any, of the guides cover the GC 5-lug setup.

For the rear I am considering reverting to my original plan of going e30 M3 to preserve offsets, but if I do that, I may as well source the front struts anyway. Z3 i6 (2.5, 2.8, 3.0) all use the same size hub (75mm) that the e30s do, but due to their geometry, push each offset out.

Too many options.. To many routes to take..

Comment

The GC setup is not based on E30M3 stuff at all. Its based off the E36 spindles you provide. The strut tube that they make corrects the geometry as its made specifically for the E30 mounting points.

Both E36 non-M and M3 have the same offsets so its really no difference there. The different brake discs go on the same hub. E36M spindles have a different caliper mount location for the different discs. Also the piece that mounts to the strut tube is slightly different for a different castor angle.

Non-M E36 brakes are plenty big for an E30 and they allow 15 and 16" wheels :)
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
          The GC setup is not based on E30M3 stuff at all. Its based off the E36 spindles you provide. The strut tube that they make corrects the geometry as its made specifically for the E30 mounting points
          This is what I meant
          I realize the design is more e36 seeing as e30s/M3s use an integrated spindle in the strut, whereas the e36 uses a separate spindle and strut. I meant to say the specs are based on e30s/M3s seeing as the tubes are e30 (which preserve e30 castor and camber) in design but have a separated spindle e36 design allowing to bolt on e36 spindles/hubs.

At this point I may shell out for the full m3 setup or use a GC+e36 front/e30+z3 rear. I'm afraid that if I mix M3 and e36 stuff like I planned the offsets would be to great and I would almost always 100% need to run spacers for running traditional BMW Style wheels like I plan to

Comment

The ground control kit does not use E30 tubes. The strut tubes are fabricated.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
              The ground control kit does not use E30 tubes. The strut tubes are fabricated.
              Semantics Semantics Semantics

But yes, this is true

Comment

I'm assuming it's just the e36 strut with the e30 camber plates and e30 rear parts so you can buy the kit and have everything you need for a coilover setup on a 5 lug swapped e30.
                For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                Originally posted by mbonanni
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I have the e36 to e30 GC kit. There is only one for a 5 lug swap unless you get e30 M3 parts.

I'm using all M parts on the front. You have to use all M parts if you want everything to be fine with the alignment of the wheel.

I'm running 16in BBS RS with no problem.

-Derek

Comment

Have you tried calling GROUND CONTROL and asking them?

Ground control is really good at setting up bmw suspension.

The 5 lug GC coilover setup is new proprietary not using bmw strut tubes.

The valving for a e30 is dead on perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

^±1 Also they are extremely helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                        I'm assuming it's just the e36 strut with the e30 camber plates and e30 rear parts so you can buy the kit and have everything you need for a coilover setup on a 5 lug swapped e30.
                        As others have said, it's not an E36 Strut.

It is a strut with the E36 mounting configuration but they are at an altered orientation to suit the E36 knuckle and E30 chassis.
                        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti View Post
                          As others have said, it's not an E36 Strut.

It is a strut with the E36 mounting configuration but they are at an altered orientation to suit the E36 knuckle and E30 chassis.
                          Good to know!
                          For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                          Originally posted by mbonanni
                          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                          X