5 lug front toe issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug front toe issue

Just finished up on my front 5 lug swap on my 93 e30 cabrio. I'm using e36m3 struts, spindles, control arms and offset CAB, with e30 H&R cabrio springs. I haven't driven the car yet still need to bleed the brakes but after lowering the car off the jack i noticed both front wheels have noticeable toe out i tightened the tie rods to the end of the thread and i still have to much toe out. I also have a non-m3 e36 steering rack installed with e30 tie rods.

If anyone has an idea how to fix this issue it would be much appreciated. I was thinking maybe e36 tie rods would offer more adjustment but I'm not sure.

Thanks Rob

Are you measuring or eyeballing it? If eyeballing it, it will appear toed out.

With the car rolled and level, use jack stands one off each corner just in front/behind of the bumpers and tie a string between each and adj the jack stands so the string is mid wheel. Get the string equal distance front and rear of the back wheel by moving the front stand and then measure the difference on the front.

Edit: Unless it is excessive and don't have enough adjustment on the tie rods
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

I am eye balling it at the moment but it seems to be excessive in my opinion. ill try to take pictures to show.

Comment

Originally posted by DoneRightBimmer View Post
        I am eye balling it at the moment but it seems to be excessive in my opinion. ill try to take pictures to show.
        Buy a set of toe plates or rig your own. Don't eyeball.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

aren't toe plates for the rear toe. My issue is with front toe. And i'm only going off my eyeball because at full shortness of the tie rods its still noticeably toed out. So i cant even come close to 0 toe in order to correctly measure\adjust the toe.

Comment

Why would toe plates only be for rear toe? They most certainly work for the front....or any vehicle front or rear.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

my understanding of toe plates is only with the rear wheels. How do they function with the front wheel tie rods to correct front wheel toe?

Comment

Toe plates go on the outside of the wheel. You use a tape measure in the front and rear and find the difference in length between the two. That distance is either toe out or toe in depending on which measurement is greater.

To adjust toe you adjust the tie rods, roll the car forward and back to center the rack and measure again. Repeat until you have the setup you are looking for.
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I realize we are thinking about separate things i thought you meant these toe correction plates.

I will actually measure the toe to confirm that it has to much toe out.

Comment

tl/dr

in my case I had to almost "bottom out" the adjustment on my tierods to get my car near 0 toe. luckily there is enough there to bring it in spec.
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                    X