Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIKI: 318ti BBK options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    WIKI: 318ti BBK options

    I'd like to gather all the information for rear 318ti BBKs to match the front e36 M3 brakes on our e30s.

    As some of you may know, the brake bias is way off in this setup because of caliper piston differences and the factory bias valve.

    First step, gut the factory bias valve (on the firewall, below the booster.)

    Options I'm aware of (and their advantages/drawbacks)
    - 318ti (cheap, way undersized caliper piston (34mm))
    - e36 rear calipers that are on 318ti brackets (Hard to bleed- must swing caliper up to point bleed screw up, but better sized pistons 36mm)
    - e34/e32 rear calipers on 318ti bracket/sliders (same drawbacks as above, but e36 m3 sized brake pistons (38mm)
    - e30 M3 Rotors e30 M3 drive flanges/bearings/axle nuts/locks/rotors/pads with e36 318ti/Z3 rear carriers with e32 735 rear calipers on the rear... E36 318ti carriers will need slight modification to fit over the e30 M3 rear rotors

    - shaved z4 2.5si rear rotors (to 318ti diameter) with modified 318ti caliper brackets (widened for vented rotor) and e36 m3 rear caliper. (one off machined rotors could be pricey, no performance feedback.. any input?)

    - 300mm.de caliper adapters to run e36 m3 calipers and brackets on z4 2.5si rear rotors. Seems like a nice setup, but adapter brackets are $300

    - Massive 318ti BBK - States it matches up to front e36 m3 brakes perfectly. these are north of $1300

    -Max399 Lithuanian adapters to run rear e46 M3 or Non-M pads and rotors. No ebrake unless you go hydraulic

    That all said, bias can be helped with running hotter pads out back.


    What has worked for you? Any other setups? Feedback?
    Last edited by Julien; 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

    #2
    Had no idea about the z4 rotors. Assuming this is the Euro only 2.5si? If so, the rotor part # is the same for our 3.0 and 3.0si Z4s.

    Sounds like a winner to me. My goal was vented rotors out back, but I'd settled on 318ti solids and e34 rear calipers.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
      Had no idea about the z4 rotors. Assuming this is the Euro only 2.5si? If so, the rotor part # is the same for our 3.0 and 3.0si Z4s.

      Sounds like a winner to me. My goal was vented rotors out back, but I'd settled on 318ti solids and e34 rear calipers.
      How is the brake bias with that setup?
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Julien View Post
        How is the brake bias with that setup?
        Haven't run it yet. Have the 318ti arms and everything awaiting UHMW bushings and a good cleanup.

        IIRC the rear e34 non-540 caliper pistons are the same size as the rear e46 330i ones. 38, maybe 40mm. Difference being the rotor is solid on non-540 e34s. 330i is vented rear rotors...but the hat isn't deep enough on either to fit Ti assembly.

        My main issue was getting a vented rear rotor, using OE parts. Z4 setup looks like it should be a winner for me.

        Goal up front is to run e46 330i brakes.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

        Comment


          #5
          I make a pair of 10mm thick brake pad spacers (out of 6061-T6 Aluminum) to use with E36 M3 calipers bolted onto Ti Trailing arms and the Solid 272x10mm Ti Rotors. The E36M rotor is 312x20mm so it made up the rotor thickness, but I could never properly bleed the calipers. So I waited until I could afford the Z3M Setup and swapped to that.
          Originally posted by BillBrasky
          E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
          1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
          1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
          1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
          2012 F350 6.7PSD

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BenM View Post
            I make a pair of 10mm thick brake pad spacers (out of 6061-T6 Aluminum) to use with E36 M3 calipers bolted onto Ti Trailing arms and the Solid 272x10mm Ti Rotors. The E36M rotor is 312x20mm so it made up the rotor thickness, but I could never properly bleed the calipers. So I waited until I could afford the Z3M Setup and swapped to that.
            IIRC the e36 m3 caliper is 38MM, same as e34 (non 540i)/e32.

            To properly bleed my upside down calipers I:
            - hooked up my pressure bleeder
            - removed my calipers and bled them with the bleed screw facing UP
            - stuck a piece of wood in my calipers in between the pads to act as a rotor and hit the brakes a few times
            - rebleed them
            - Reattached everything like normal.
            Last edited by Julien; 09-10-2014, 01:34 PM.
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

            Comment


              #7
              For my 318ti bbk setup I used 1 series rotors. They fit perfectly on the hub like a glove. Retains the ebrake abilities as well and they are vented. I made some adapters yo fit the e36 m3 calipers and carriers to fit on the ti with aircraft/space grade aluminum. It functions 100% like stock. One of the Best decisions and projects I've done

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Marv17 View Post
                For my 318ti bbk setup I used 1 series rotors. They fit perfectly on the hub like a glove. Retains the ebrake abilities as well and they are vented. I made some adapters yo fit the e36 m3 calipers and carriers to fit on the ti with aircraft/space grade aluminum. It functions 100% like stock. One of the Best decisions and projects I've done
                pics?
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just my opinion, What are you guys planning to pay for calipers?

                  I plan on doing Wilwood calipers all around. I have them in the front on my 4lug corrado setup. I am going 5 lug now. I plan to take the calipers I have in the front now and move them to the back as they are for a 1" rotor. Go with the same caliper again for the front only built for a 1.25" rotor. The calipers are $125 each from Summit Racing or Jegs. I am going to add an aftermarket bias valve to tune the brakes, they are $50. As for rotors, I think E36 M3 fronts and Z3M rear or similar. I have to make Caliper brackets anyway, so I should be able to make it all work. I think.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I ended up going with rear 330i brakes and love the bias.
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

                    Comment


                      #11
                      update on mine, I went with Z4 rear rotors. they are kickass!!!

                      the brakes now fell better than ever.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Please elaborate

                        Originally posted by Artful Dodger View Post
                        update on mine, I went with Z4 rear rotors. they are kickass!!!

                        the brakes now fell better than ever.
                        What did you need to do to make these work ?
                        Was it just get z4 (which z4??) rotors and they bolt up directly or was
                        Was there more work involved??

                        ive read that f30/f32 rear rotors also give you
                        Full function of e-brake and bolt right up, I just wanted to confirm with you.
                        Thanks in advanced for your input.
                        Signature removed by R3V staff due to a violation of the forum rules

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Marv17 View Post
                          For my 318ti bbk setup I used 1 series rotors. They fit perfectly on the hub like a glove. Retains the ebrake abilities as well and they are vented. I made some adapters yo fit the e36 m3 calipers and carriers to fit on the ti with aircraft/space grade aluminum. It functions 100% like stock. One of the Best decisions and projects I've done

                          I'm sorry I know it's an old thread but could you explain exactly which 1 series the rotors came off?? I'd love to know if it carriers and e46 330i rear calipers would work and retain the
                          e-brake
                          Cheers
                          Sash
                          Signature removed by R3V staff due to a violation of the forum rules

                          Comment


                            #14
                            He sold his car but they were 128i rotors

                            http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42328
                            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Artful Dodger View Post
                              Just my opinion, What are you guys planning to pay for calipers?

                              I plan on doing Wilwood calipers all around. I have them in the front on my 4lug corrado setup. I am going 5 lug now. I plan to take the calipers I have in the front now and move them to the back as they are for a 1" rotor. Go with the same caliper again for the front only built for a 1.25" rotor. The calipers are $125 each from Summit Racing or Jegs. I am going to add an aftermarket bias valve to tune the brakes, they are $50. As for rotors, I think E36 M3 fronts and Z3M rear or similar. I have to make Caliper brackets anyway, so I should be able to make it all work. I think.

                              I wanted to come back to this once I have put some time and mileage on my swap.
                              For economy, I cannot beat the cheap wilwood set up. I have the Forged Dynalites on all 4 corners. These sell for $138.83 from Summit Racing. I get Hawk DTC-60 pads for $78.22 from Summit.
                              I am using stock E36 M3 front rotors and 3.0lZ4 rear rotors (vented and the parking brake works).
                              I feel it is a good setup especially for the money. I have been driving on this for over a year.

                              Here is the catch, if you do track driving (as I do) these cheap wilwoods experience a good bit of flex. so you can lose some clamping force due to the flex.

                              If I were to do it over, i would try to find a caliper with more bridge support.

                              I am entertaining the idea of going to Stock E36 M3 calipers up front.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X