Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who has figured out the budget BBK for the 318ti setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who has figured out the budget BBK for the 318ti setup?

Ive tried and tried to find a definitive answer for budget larger brakes on the ti rear setup and can't come to a conclusion. I understand there is the massive option, but I'm not currently interested in dropping that kind of coin.

Ive heard of the 330i rear setup, but can't find clarification on parts needed.

Having a working parking brake does not matter to me if that is the only thing holding back the 330i rear setup.

Just looking for some answers from people who have managed to upgrade the rear calipers to ones of larger piston size. I will be running E36M3 fronts.
    1987 325is - S52

Comment

Interesting. Sort of solves my problem, but not really. He's using the nasieg kit which is no longer produced from what I've heard. I'm also looking to do without any bracket adapter out back, using oem caliper brackets of some form.
      1987 325is - S52

Comment

Originally posted by NickL View Post
        Interesting. Sort of solves my problem, but not really. He's using the nasieg kit which is no longer produced from what I've heard. I'm also looking to do without any bracket adapter out back, using oem caliper brackets of some form.
        I haven't heard of any significantly larger callipers that bolt up without the use of an adapter bracket, and I doubt there many (if there even are any). Even the Massive option you mention uses a bracket...

Getting a bracket made up isn't the end of the world, just a few simple dimensions required.

Comment

Massive doesnt sell the kit anymore. I just tried to buy one and said he will only do them again if he has 10+ orders.
          89 325i - s62 swap, 5 lug

03 e46 m3 manual - Karbonius csl airbox and snorkel, ttfs csl map sensor rail, csl headers, euro cats, ss x-pipe, scza muffler, JRZ RS1, turner power pulleys, turner sways, autosolutions ssk, and advan rsIIs

Comment

check this

[ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
            ---------------------------------------------------------------
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
            Transaction Feedback

Comment

What about fitting rear Z3M trailing arms? Then you get big vented rotors and their correct calipers to match the front piston size. Obviously, you need to check the car's weight distribution... Z3M uses rear e36 M3 vented rotors.

But if you track, you will realize that the price of brake pads for a BMW caliper are almost twice the price as pads for a Wilwood Superlite caliper. ;-)
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by massive lee View Post
                what about fitting rear z3m trailing arms? Then you get big vented rotors and their correct calipers to match the front piston size. Obviously, you need to check the car's weight distribution... Z3m uses rear e36 m3 vented rotors.

But if you track, you will realize that the price of brake pads for a bmw caliper are almost twice the price as pads for a wilwood superlite caliper. ;-)
                ^ +1
                [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                Transaction Feedback

Comment

That'd be great if used Z3M rear trailing arms were a dime a dozen, unfortunately they are not a plentiful resource... unless you want to spend $800-$1000 per trailing arm for BNIB parts.

Comment

I suppose that's the price tag for fitting 5 bolt wheels on an e30 ;-)
                    I spent the past 10 years trying to understand people who were doing that. ;-) 5 lugs is for heavy and powerful cars.
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                      I suppose that's the price tag for fitting 5 bolt wheels on an e30 ;-)
                      I spent the past 10 years trying to understand people who were doing that. ;-) 5 lugs is for heavy and powerful cars.
                      It is and it isn't. As we've all seen there are other proven methods that can be done for much cheaper. I think the main motivation for people wanting to adapt the OEM parts is that if they need to they can go to their local parts store pretty much anywhere and get pads/rotors/rebuilt callipers off the shelf usually, or at worst next day.

Whereas if you make a kit out of an after market performance brand (i.e. wilwood), unless you're near a distributor or want to pay some big fees, you likely can't get replacement parts next day delivery.

I know that if I raced for a hobby, I'd rather use an OEM calliper and be able to run to a local dealership or parts shop to get a replacement should I need one, rather than having to carry around a set of back-ups all the time just in case I happen to need one at some point. Then again... maybe that's because I haven't substantially raced for a hobby yet lol.

I agree with you, in that it's not worth upgrading to larger brakes unless you've added at least 20% more power and traction to the car.

Comment

I think I'm going with the srs-concept brackets to run e36m3 rears/rotors. Loose the ebrake but I'm not concerned about that anyways. I'll report back with results.
                        1987 325is - S52

Comment

srs concept e36 M3 front too!

IDK if you've seen it but srs concept also makes a front lolipop to correct the geometry and run complete e36 M3 struts, brakes, and control arms in the e30's

Comment

There is a set up on 318Ti.org using mix match of stuff buy with loss of intergrated parking brake.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                            X