Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-lug Setup

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
    "What offset wheels should I run?
    ET20 if you have a fender roller to roll and pull a little. If you want to install wheels and leave body alone, try any e36/e46 wheel offset wheels. They tend to be ET35+, CSL reps come in ET50 offset for a 8.5" wide wheel."

    Hey Aptyp, did you write this before you actually installed your rims? I ask because you have a picture on here with those rims sticking out quite a bit and you said something to me about having to pick another rim cause one style didnt fit.
    there are 2 pics... one is with wheels on z3 trailing arms, and other is on e30 trailing arms with z3 hubs... Also, those wheels in pic are ET15, and fenders aren't rolled or pulled at all. I'll take pics again soon.

    also remember that your offset depends on the width of the wheel, my wheels are only 7" wide.
    sigpic
    E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
    E30 Oktoberfest 2017

    Comment


      #62
      i think i'll just buy these wheels and if they dont fit ill sell them for more than i paid, since they are so cheap anyway.... but i would really love to see a pic of an e30 with et23 16x8's on it and the e36 based 5 lug setup!

      Comment


        #63
        send me wheels, I'll take a pic for you...
        sigpic
        E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
        E30 Oktoberfest 2017

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
          i think i'll just buy these wheels and if they dont fit ill sell them for more than i paid, since they are so cheap anyway.... but i would really love to see a pic of an e30 with et23 16x8's on it and the e36 based 5 lug setup!

          Here are the wheels on a 5 lugged e30 m3 suspension car...







          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=116052


          Now add another 18mm (0.70866 inches, almost 3/4") to the outside of the wheels to get a close idea what your looking at...


          ;)

          Comment


            #65
            that car looks so good!
            Are you saying add another 3/4" just for the additional width of the E36 suspension/hubs compared to E30m3 stuff? that would make sense i guess if i was using the same wheels as you.. but these i think are actually an inch wider than those you have (those are 16x7 right).. so i would actually have a little bit more rim sticking out.. ahh what the hell im gonna just buy them and see how they fit

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
              that car looks so good!
              Are you saying add another 3/4" just for the additional width of the E36 suspension/hubs compared to E30m3 stuff?
              Yes

              Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
              that would make sense i guess if i was using the same wheels as you.. but these i think are actually an inch wider than those you have (those are 16x7 right).. so i would actually have a little bit more rim sticking out.. ahh what the hell im gonna just buy them and see how they fit
              I for the life of me can not figure how you think a 16x7 wheel is wider than a 17x8 or 17x9 that I am running, but whatever...

              But yeah we have beat this like a dead horse, so do go buy those 16x8 et23 wheels for cheap and get your e36 5 lug swap done and report back how bad they fit please...


              Last edited by atomic; 03-26-2009, 09:18 PM.

              Comment


                #67



                Also if you plan on running any e39 5 series wheels that you will have to run center bore reducers. E39's have a center bore of 74.1mm and all other 5 lug BMW's have a center bore of 72.56mm


                :mrgreen:[/quote]

                ya i know i have a set of centering rings already, thought i needed them for my e28 but didnt...

                hey i have a set of front 750il calipers that id love to run in the front. have you ever heard about anybody using them with e36 m3 or e30 m3 struts??? i dont have the front struts yet so i cant conjure something up...im gona try and cross reference the #'s on realoem just in case.

                as well aptyp was toying around with e36 325i rotor/318ti carrier/any caliper housing....dont get me wrong modifying shit doesnt scare me but not modifying is easer lol so all i need thats m3 is the hub, wheel bearing, lock and nut. sweet, the less e30 m3 the better...i have access to everything but the m3 rear hubs... maybe chris at cg motorsports has a set. with 10 m3's im sure he's got some shit.
                Last edited by bimmer_adam69; 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM.
                M stands for Money:hitler:

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by atomic View Post
                  Yes



                  I for the life of me can not figure how you think a 16x7 wheel is wider than a 17x8 or 17x9 that I am running, but whatever...

                  But yeah we have beat this like a dead horse, so do go buy those 16x8 et23 wheels for cheap and get your e36 5 lug swap done and report back how bad they fit please...


                  the wheels i spoke of were 16x8, not 16x7.... and yes i went and got them.. i will find out how they fit probably next week when i do the swap.. i have all the parts now
                  Last edited by bimmer630; 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    hey guys couple more q's...

                    e36 m3 front strut housings, do they need to be shortened????

                    and why the offset cabs, is there a caster difference if you dont run offset cabs?

                    oh and the front hub assemblies. is the tooth count on e36 front hubs the same as e30 rear??? will i have to press the e30 hub abs rings on????
                    M stands for Money:hitler:

                    Comment


                      #70
                      you don't need to cut front struts to put them in...


                      God I need to get my front done so I don't feel bad answering all questions.
                      sigpic
                      E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                      E30 Oktoberfest 2017

                      Comment


                        #71
                        well i got a line an a e30 m3 that got hit by a train!.... i know sad story.

                        i dont know how bad it is but im hoping the train was going very slow....


                        hey with e30 m3 front struts, anyone know if i can run other bmw brakes??
                        M stands for Money:hitler:

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by bimmer_adam69 View Post
                          well i got a line an a e30 m3 that got hit by a train!.... i know sad story.

                          i dont know how bad it is but im hoping the train was going very slow....


                          hey with e30 m3 front struts, anyone know if i can run other bmw brakes??


                          AFAIK BBK's are the only other option available if you run e30 m3 strut housings...

                          I just happen to have an extra set of front calipers/carriers that I am holding on to for now...



                          Comment


                            #73
                            Can I use 318TI/z3 1.9L trailing arms?
                            Yes you can, but I don't see it as a smart move. 318ti uses smaller bearing... If you're upgrading to 5 lugs for better brakes and wheel options, why would you downgrade your bearing? That doesn't make much sense to me. Another part to remember, is that e30 ABS sensor WILL NOT plug into 318ti trailing arms, as e36 ABS/Speed sensors are shorter.



                            What is the actual bearing size difference? How negligible is it to performance?
                            How do you get around the ABS sensor problem?

                            Comment


                              #74
                              hey Dan...

                              you'll have to make a spacer for e30 ABS sensor. E30 one is longer than e36 one. I am not sure what the diference is, but if you stick in stock sensor, it will grind on your axles ABS ring.

                              Difference in bearing is: ID x OD x W in mm
                              e30/e36/z3: 42X75X37
                              318ti/1.9z3: 39X72X37
                              if you DD your car, it won't make a huge difference. I just hate downgrading.
                              sigpic
                              E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                              E30 Oktoberfest 2017

                              Comment


                                #75
                                So these are the parts I have collected so far,











                                I got all these parts for 700 bucks. I need control arms.

                                im pretty sure these are the pelican parts #'s for the proper control arms

                                31-12-2-228-461-M9

                                31-12-2-228-462-M9

                                Am I missing anything? Im trying to get all the stuff I need in the next few weeks so its a smooth transition when I do the swap.
                                I know I have to clean everything up and junk the control arms that are still attached, I was also thinking I would change out the rotors at least on the fronts for now to drilled and slotted ones. The brake pads look relatively new. Im going to pull the calipers and paint them either red or silver.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X