Naseig kit, front hub wont turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naseig kit, front hub wont turn

I can't figure out what the hell is going on here. Naseig kit, E36 M3 rotors and calipers. Untorqued, with no rotor on, the hub spins just fine. Put the rotor and caliper on, it will barely turn by hand. Put any torque to the wheel nut and it locks solid. Tore the whole damn thing apart 2x, bearing is fine, a little play, but just the plastic retainer moving around. WTF is going on here. Left side is all torqued down and fine. Right is being retarded. I'm starting to regret not just putting a full E36 front end on rather than this janky business.
    1985 325e -> M60 swap project
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

sounds like either the hub or the caliper is tweaked. When bolting it down I would bet its making the rotor tweaked up against the pads. Try shimming the caliper and see if that clears it up.

Comment

It was caliper interference. Shimmed it, still won't torque to spec, but way better and no binding. I think I'll just loctite-green it and say fk-it.
      1983 GTV6
      1974 X1/9

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead. So there was caliper interference, I got that resolved. Still can't torque to spec without binding up the wheel bearing. I wouldn't have an issue with that, some cars have pretty loose fitting bearings, except there's no way to stake or pin the freaking bolt on these. Now that I have been driving it, I am definitely getting some movement on the nut too, I paint marked them and they have moved. Re torqued and seeing what I can do but I am really leaning towards ditching this setup and going with E36 M3 struts and control arms. I would rather have less than perfect geometry than lose a f**king wheel. Anyone running this setup ever had similar issues? I'm also thinking of green loctite to maybe keep them from walking once I have them torqued to where they won't bind.
        1983 GTV6
        1974 X1/9

Comment

Retorqued the nuts again... now the back side of the hub on one side is chewing on the spindle. F**K this bull-s. Not sure why I didn't do an E36 spindle setup the first time, but that's what I'm doing now. No one is asking my opinion, but here it is. Don't do sleeve kits.
          1983 GTV6
          1974 X1/9

Comment

I know this thread is over a year old, but I ran into a similar issue with this kit too. The fix was to remove the sheet metal dust seal that’s pressed onto the base of the spindle. The rear sleeve cannot seat without that being removed. Once that is removed, everything seated perfect and the caliper brackets are centered. The instructions never mentioned it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A369C7C9-2CD2-48FE-9F8B-19AF271F818A.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	10041717

Comment

Working...
            X