Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$750 Suspension needed. Suggestions Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
    Koni's are $524 shipped right now from pure-motorsport.com.

$520 for the shocks, and $4 shipping. I'm not kidding, $4 shipping.
    Do these Konis have the top mounted adjustable knobs for the rear shocks? I know GC sells these.....albeit at a higher price.

$4 for shipping is unreal :eeek:

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
      you could spend 100 more on springs and have them be hight adjustible ground controls
      Completely different ride quality and intent of use. I (as a GC owner) would NOT recommend GC's to someone considering street driving exclusively, or even just light track events. Linear springs and perches are to be corner weighted regularly and with every change in weight (think adding an amp even), and the ride quality is quite different than your typical spring kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
        Originally posted by jajou318
        Right now it's either H&R cup kit or the H&R Bilstien combo.

Anyone with experience with those coil overs?
        I don't have experience with either one, but I can tell you that the H&R Cup kit will bring your E30 down to the pavement....to the point where going in and out of some driveways as well as negotiating some speedbumps will be a pain in the ass since you'll be scraping your front valence and catalyst converter all day long. Its ideal for someone who wants the 'slammed' look but has little interest in serious cornering performance.

With the Bilstein/H&R Sport spring combo, your car won't sit quite as low as the Cup Kit, but it will have a lowered stance. There was a write-up in Roundel magazine a few months back about how this particular shock/spring combo along with some aftermarket sway bars provides a good all-around package for street driving, auto-x days and giving your E30 a sporty profile without going overkill.

The Koni SAs (adjustable) is a very good set of shocks to have if your budget allows. These run about $540 through shox.com. Combine these with either H&R Sports, H&R Race, or Ireland Engineering Stage 3 springs and you have a very capable suspension set up. With the exception of the H&R Race springs (due to their high price nearing $400), the H&R Sports and the IE Stage 3 springs and the Konis will tap out your $750 budget but it will drop your E30 to a similar height as the Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport set-up yet offer ever better handling.

Coincidentally, the IE Stage 3 springs are just about identical in specs as the H&R Race springs.....only cheaper.

Jon
        H&R Cup Kit won't necessarily SLAM your car unless the same kit is fitted to a convertible. Mine dropped nearly 2.25". Don't completely eliminate it, a 1.75" drop won't have you navigating around speed bumps or anything.
        R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

changed my mind about these springs...i am looking to get the vogtland springs with koni's for $500 something...

Comment

IE3 Springs and Bilstein Sports:

It hits the margin between tolerable and uncomfortable for daily driving. There still is some body roll issues to be addressed in the track, however this can be corrected with some sway bars.

Setup cost me $650 shipped brand new. No regrets.
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift
              IE3 Springs and Bilstein Sports:

It hits the margin between tolerable and uncomfortable for daily driving. There still is some body roll issues to be addressed in the track, however this can be corrected with some sway bars.

Setup cost me $650 shipped brand new. No regrets.
              thats what i was gonna go for next. HR sport + bilstein sports are nice but i want more down the road.

Comment

Working...
              X