Ball joint out...washboard roads to blame...need suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball joint out...washboard roads to blame...need suggestions please

Hear a clanking from the front drivers side and when it was lifted noticed that sides ball joint was hanging lower than the other. I assume it is loose and need replacing. I'd like to replace them with perfromance parts to allow better cornering. So I need some sugggestions. What parts to replace while I'm there that I can justify $$ wise, etc. Here's the rub...I can't lower the car as we live on dirt roads in NM and clearance is vital. Also, the crappy roads here are the reason the ball joint went out ( I assume) as the PO had them done right before I bought it a year ago.

1. Need suggestions as to what type of ball joint set up to use
    2. Parts to replace while I'm in there
    3. Car must remain stock height but corner better than stock
    4. How to "beef it up" so it won't happen again on crappy washboard roads.

Suggest away...
    87 325is

Are you talking about the whole control arm? The arm has 2 ball joints, one on the subframe, one on the knuckle/hub assembly, then bolted to the body is the bushing.

Just hanging down doesn't mean it is loose. Might mean your sway bar links are bad or something but your control arm wouldn't hang down just cuz a ball joint is worn out.

Here's what you do...unlock your steering, jack the front of the car up so both front wheels are off the ground, and jiggle. If one of the wheels is noticably loose then get the car up on stands, have a buddy jiggle the wheel while you get under the car and either look around or put your hands on all the joints. Inner and outer ball joints, as well as tie rod end and inner tie rod where it attaches to the rack (just grab the boot).

To check the sway bar links just grab the whole bar and try to move up and down. If the bar can move and clunks around then the link is no good.

Comment

Working...
    X