Suspension Installation Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Installation Problems

I was just wondering what problems people have had changing the suspensions on their e30s. I might do it with a friend, but if it is too difficult il probably do it with my gfs dad (head machanic at bmw).

I would like to know what I am in for before I start this project.
    Vocino
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...o/MyCar051.jpg

Hardest part is just dropping the tie rods and control arms off the strut housing. Sometimes its easy, sometimes its a pita. I did a full suspension without any specialty tools in my driveway in 2 hours. It can be done.
    sigpic

Comment

20 yr old cars + difficult bolts = hard to do.
      I did a suspension last week on a 300C, and man, was I glad that I had air tools...
      Slicktop City!

Comment

If you have access to a lift, I would for sure use it. It's also nice to have the BMW spring compressor tool. Make sure to get new collars for the front struts, and start nailing them with PB blaster the night before you do the job.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

PB blaster, an air hammer, and heat are your best friends for jobs like this
          Recent Rebranding!!
          Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
          Instagram.com/garageaholic
          Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I was told that I might have to change the balljoints or tierods in the front, is that possible?

And I dont think il need a spring compressor because im getting new shocks and springs
            Vocino

Comment

You need a spring compressor to install the springs. Any set will do. I use a set of the threaded-rod type, and using an impact the job is pretty quick.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

yes its a good idea to change out the controls arms and tie rid ends, especially if you have never replaced them before. there is a good chance they will be destroyed while trying to remove them from the strut assembly if they are really on there.
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                  yes its a good idea to change out the controls arms and tie rid ends, especially if you have never replaced them before. there is a good chance they will be destroyed while trying to remove them from the strut assembly if they are really on there.
                  ya, i destroyed mine when i did my suspension.

i am pretty sure in order to change ball joints you need to get a whole new control arm. someone correct me if im wrong.
                  Dan Zickel
                  1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

My friend has a sprigns compressor, so thats not a problem.

My baljoints were changed, but my tie rods are now finished, and im gonna replace them soon after I install my suspension.
                    Vocino

Comment

I'd let your gf's dad pull your car into his bay after hours,
                      things are so much easier when you have the right tools and
                      equipment. These old cars tend to fight you.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Driv3R View Post
                        i am pretty sure in order to change ball joints you need to get a whole new control arm. someone correct me if im wrong.
                        No, with the steel control arms you can press the old ball joints out and new ones in. Its pretty easy to do and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new pair of control arms.
                        Greg
                        74 914 2.0 | 84 318i | 86 944 | 05 325xi

Comment

Ya, the problem is my gfs dad said hed only have time to do it in about 2 weeks or so. I want it done like now!!! So I think il try it out with my friend and see how that goes. My friend did his suspension, and some other dudes. Hopefully a bimmer wont be much harder.
                          Vocino

Comment

Originally posted by gm9142l View Post
                            No, with the steel control arms you can press the old ball joints out and new ones in. Its pretty easy to do and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new pair of control arms.

Well... i gut got raped in the ass...... :(

I have been told by alot of people that they coundnt... shit oh well

and they said they repalced my control arm bushings, and i got back and there is no way that they knew i had the offset bushings. i am gonna light that place on fire!!
                            Dan Zickel
                            1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by E30Driv3R View Post
                              Well... i gut got raped in the ass...... :(

I have been told by alot of people that they coundnt... shit oh well

and they said they repalced my control arm bushings, and i got back and there is no way that they knew i had the offset bushings. i am gonna light that place on fire!!
                              My guess is the reason most shops won't replace the balljoints separately is because the extra labor of pressing the old balljoints out and the new balljoints in offsets the cost of the complete control arm.
                              '91 318is
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X