Z3 racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 racks

I'm looking to get a Z3 rack but need to know the difference (if any) between the years, engines ect.... Basically need to know which had the 2.7 turn-to-turn and fit the mounting holes on the e30. (and yes, I know a coupler has to be fabed up, but thats not what I'm asking about)

Any of the non-M Z3's. Either the 4-cylinder or the 2.5/2.8. Both had the same rack. Mine came from a '98 2.8 as I remember.

Comment

Only 2.7 turns lock-to-lock? Man...that's quick. And if the only rack that fits is the non-///M variants, the cost can't be too scary, can it? I know that swapping out to an E36 M3 rack (a la Zionsville) is a $500+ affair.

Does anyone know of a link that gives detailed info about this upgrade?

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I was able to find a good used one for $200, but I think I got lucky. The actual ratio is between 2.8 and 2.9 turns. It's a great improvement. Not darty at all. The Z3 rack is the same physically as the E36 rack, so the swap is the same. Turning radius does not change. I was able to use my recently-replaced E30 tie rods (although the Z3 rods were much stronger - but rusted). The '95 E36 rack somehow has a variable ratio, with less turn on center than when you start cranking on it. The Z3 rack is linear.

The biggest hassle is you need to modify the knuckle. It's the same process as the E36 conversion. I used the Zionsville CD for that modification. They use all bmw parts to make the modifications. After cracking the E36 power steering lines (didn't use a torch to bend), I even figured out how to use the original E30 lines, so it is possible.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've already got my Z3 rack now, I'll keep ya posted on the install. I ended up buying a rebuilt one. Cost was $352.

Comment

Originally posted by jimi318is
            Cost was $352.
            Did you find a place that would sell the rack to you out-right or did you also pay a core charge?

Comment

I had to pay core also, on top of that price.

Comment

Is this a pretty good handling upgrade for the E30?

Comment

It quickens your cars steering response.

Comment

the only real problem is the joint that connects the steering wheel to the rack, i have the Zionsville CD but it sucks ass.

some one told me there is a certian e30 joint that will work, like from a 91 318is, cannot remember.

Comment

Or, just get the E36 shaft and combine the E30 with the E36 u-joints, using the upper E30 u-joint and the lower E36 u-joint. As seen here: http://www.e30zone.co.uk/techne36rack.asp

Comment

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                        On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                        BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Some good reading on the Z3 rack here.

It's UK based, so RHD, but it indicates that although the Z3 rack has less turns lock to lock, the ratio is not actually quicker. It just doesn't travel as far.

Ian.

Comment

How much was the coupler fab up?

I know E30 M3 Steering racks cant be fitted into cars with airbags...which can be fitting into ones with airbags?
                            Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                              How much was the coupler fab up?

I know E30 M3 Steering racks cant be fitted into cars with airbags...which can be fitting into ones with airbags?
                              It depends if you have a tame machine shop or not. I included a drawing in the how-to listed above. Just take it to a machine shop and ask them. All the other parts you shoud have, or can get from a junkyard.

The thickness of the spacer may need to be different on LHD US cars though. I only have experiance on RHD UK cars. You would need to take some measurements to be sure.

I have read varying stories on the airbag problem, but apparently the airbag steering column is adjustable in length, and can be adjusted to take either the E30 or E36 racks. Never tried it myself though. I don't think we had airbags in UK E30's.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                              X