Rebuilding CV Joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding CV Joints

My rear CV boots are starting to leak a little bit so I am going to rebuild them. My question is do you normally just buy new CV's or simply clean them and repack them? Also what tools are needed to removed the axle from the hub?

Just buy a used set in good condition. Buying full rebuilt ones is $$$.$$ where as used ones are like $$.$$. The CV joints on these cars are very well made, and won't fail unless the boots tear and allow dirt in. People are always parting out cars, and this is a item that is typically thrown away because they fail so little.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

typically thrown away because they fail so little.
      Or 'cause you have 1. A LSD & 245's + 2. too much torque and + 3. trouble letting the clutch out gently = blows them to pieces, oops.

And since BMW gave you F'all space to upgrade them you have to think about horrible things like universal joints, eeewww.

Sorry, useless OT post.
      292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

you can just replace the boots, clean them out and repack them with grease. the rear axles are pretty easy to take apart, I replaced all my boots a year ago.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OK, I was just wondering if people simply cleaned and repacked them or what.

Nando - What tools did you need to take the axles off, are there any special ones like a huge socket?

Comment

Working...
          X