Strut bar effectiveness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut bar effectiveness?

I understand the theory behind them. I am sure that they do make SOME difference in handling. BUT, how much difference? What I want to know, is you guys that have them, did they make a noticeable difference in your handling. Please elaborate.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

They look cool, that's about it.

As you go to sticker (read: R compound) tires that are at least 225 width, you start to see some chassis flex, at that point, a strut bar does help some.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

People with Sparco up front will all agree it seems you can take corners at fast speeds.

Placebo or not.

Comment

there was a definite difference when I put mine in.. a large reduction in understeer. I had similar effects from the M3 offset control arm bushings. rear braces are probably not as effective, but they do support the shock mounts. in any case, turn in with my car is very sharp and understeer is has been reduced to minimal (from understeering like a pig when it was stock).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well I am in for the GB for the sparco bar. I was just wondering if it is worth the investment.

Comment

I'm realy enjoying the one you sold me :D I've had at least 4 people ask me where I got it as they like the non-hinged simple design.
            85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
              I'm realy enjoying the one you sold me :D I've had at least 4 people ask me where I got it as they like the non-hinged simple design.
              I did too. Forgot I even bought the thing. I hated it did not fit. I am glad it has worked out for you. Did you refinish it? Pic installed?

Comment

I left it as is, I had to PRY it on to make it fit, but my passenger side strut tower is pushed in a little.

Comment

So the black finish looks okay, huh? Looks good on there. I love the valve cover.

That intake manifold would be an easy touch up. I saw somebody here on rev that sprayed one with some aluminum look silver paint. I thought it looked great. That would go a long way to cleaning up the engine area. I am probably gonna do that myself soon.

Oh, and forever black also is good on the firewall covers. I just put it on right over the army green crap. took a few coats, but looked soooo much better when finished. I spent a couple afternoons cleaning mine, and touching up here and there and it is worth the effort.

Comment

I have a m30 going in soon, so I'm not to worried how the engine looks, Actualy the Hartge m20 valve cover may be for sale.
                    The black looks fine to me, I may repaint it when I swap the engine, but the bar is such a bitch to get on I'm not going to pull it unless needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X