Painting Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Rotors

Yea this isnt a repeat of the red rotor. Im wondering if I can spray them (off the car) to prevent rust on the hub area. It will just come off with a little bit of driving right? I though I read on dave lengths page that you can do just this. Im using engine enamel thats good up to like 500 degrees or whatever. Will that affect it wearing off? Sorry for the lame question.

I bombed Korea every night.

yes you can. Make sure you use a good degreaser or even just dish washing soap to clean a new rotor of any protective chemical that was put on it to prevent rust during shipping. If it's a use rotor, make sure you clean it really well (as above will work fine) to get the dust off it safely since you don't want to be breathing in asbestos and then use a wire brush, sand paper, steel wool to remove any rust prior to painting.
    Chris
    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

So were talking the entire dics, IE: the contact patch?

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

I just masked off the contact part and painted the rotor hats with caliper/brake drum paint. Turned out real good, not that I can really see them behind 14" weaves anyway.
        Amber Fire Pearlcoat 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
        Schwarz 1991 BMW 535i [Daily Driver]
        Dark Currant Pearl 1996 Acura Integra GS-R [For Sale]
        Orientblau Metallic 1994 BMW 740i [Sold]
        Alpinweiss 1987 BMW 325iS [Junked]

Comment

I just did my rear rotors with VHT brake paint. I HIGHLY recommend their paints, excellent shit. I took the rotors off, scuffed off all the rust I could with a 3M scuff pad, blew off with compressed air, masked the contact area and shot it with paint.

After:

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Yup, same paint, same color I used. Good stuff.
            Amber Fire Pearlcoat 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
            Schwarz 1991 BMW 535i [Daily Driver]
            Dark Currant Pearl 1996 Acura Integra GS-R [For Sale]
            Orientblau Metallic 1994 BMW 740i [Sold]
            Alpinweiss 1987 BMW 325iS [Junked]

Comment

just blast the whole thing with paint. it comes off after a lap around the block.
              sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

Don't waste your time masking. I just painted the entire think with high heat paint. Looks great after two years.

-Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer
                  Don't waste your time masking. I just painted the entire think with high heat paint. Looks great after two years.

-Spencer
                  Dont listen to retard here. Mask off the contact area. If you get a little overspray on the contact area that is OK, the pads will wear it off quick... but coating it with paint is stupid.

Comment

i like what i see... im paintin my calipers and rotors this weekend.

Comment

Don't paint your calipers! Get them powdercoated. Its a soooo much better finish, and it wont chip to hell like paint.

Comment

I painted my calipers with VHT paint (silver) and rotors (black). The paint is excellent.

I know Jordan won't agree with me but my calipers came out just as good as his and his were over $100 for powdercoating, I spent $13 on 2 cans of VHT. No chips, fading, anything. They clean off easy too. Its all about the prep work.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

seein as how i have almost no money right now and i do have some spare caliper paint layin around.. im not gonna get it powdercoated right now... maybe sometime next year

Comment

Working...
                          X