brake pedal sinks to the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake pedal sinks to the floor

grabs at the very bottom im thinking its the master cylinder. anyone got any instructions on replacing it.
    sigpic

might be a leak in your brake lines. try to bleed them first, if the symptoms keep comming back its your master cylinder, or a hole in your line.
    sigpic

Comment

well i bled the brakes imma check the lines
      sigpic

Comment

Check all of the lines and calipers for leaks. If there are no leaks the master cylinder has failed. And if it has failed, it probably has leaked fluid into the brake booster. Brake fluid will destroy a booster in short order. So if there is fluid in the booster both the booster and master cylinder need to be replaced.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i have a seized up caliper right im taking off the caliper and replacing it but with the brake line to prevent fluid coming out how will i do that. i heard of vice gripping the line?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goya20 View Post
            i have a seized up caliper right im taking off the caliper and replacing it but with the brake line to prevent fluid coming out how will i do that. i heard of vice gripping the line?
            that may damage the line

just let the fluid drip into a catch pan, can refill (and bleed!) it when your done... you should flush the fluid anyway...
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

don't vice grip a line unless you want to damage it. bleed all your brakes afterward, you should be doing that regardless.

don't get any in your eyes while you're down there. it hurts. a lot.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea i just held it upward, i wasn't going to listen to that stupid ass comment. thanks guys it was a success but it still sinks i think i need that master cylinder. anyone know where to get one cheap and new?
                sigpic

Comment

its going to cost you around 140-250$ depending on if you have ABS and what year your e30 is
                  :borg:

Comment

its an 87 with abs i seen on for 207 dollars. No bueno lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X