abs going off at low speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

abs going off at low speeds?

so i was working on the front suspension and i remember hooking everything up right. tonight on my way to my girlfriend's house the "anti lock" light was on and wouldn't turn off. on the way home it was off, but every time i come to a stop (2-5mph) i can feel the abs system kicking in. any ideas why? it doesnt come on when i slow down hard at high speeds, just normal breaking at low speeds.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

no ideas?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

I'm going to guess that the light comes on when you switch on the ignition, goes out when the engine starts, and then comes back on while the car is moving. The behavior is consistent with there being a bad wheel speed sensor. To find out which is bad, disconnect all but one sensor and then drive the car a bit. If the light comes on that sensor is good. Repeat for each of the other sensors until you find one that won't cause the light to come on and you'll have found the bad sensor.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I had an old 325i that did that when coming to a stop. I tried a different ABS control module, but to no avail. I ended up just disconnecting the ABS module and pulling the bulb. Hope you get it fixed!
        '88 325ic - Vert in winter baby!
        '91 318is - Gone :(
        '95 530i - Gone :(

Comment

^hmm, not what i was looking for, but maybe i knocked one of the sensors when i cut the brake backing plates off.
          sigpic

Comment

You may have knicked one of the wheel hubs when you cut the backing plate off. Get the car in the air, remove the wheels, and look at the ring on the hub as well.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

also check to make sure there's no debris in the abs ring.
              sigpic
              king of bad decisions.

Comment

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine just started doing this today, same exact problem, and I am up at my apartment with no tools or anything to work on it, so I was thinking it was something worse until I saw this thread.
                "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

My car started doing this as well today but I have not had the wheels off or done anything suspension related in about 6 months. Anyone figure out what causes this? Contemplating removing ABS altogether.

Comment

The first thing to do would be to try the diagnostic for a bad wheel speed sensor that I suggested above.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

this happins to mine also but only when it rains
                      sigpic
                      Who`s attention, and why do I have to pay them?

Comment

The same thing was happening to me. This was a couple of weeks after installing H&R race and bilsteins. I bled the brakes over the weekend and when I took off the drivers side front wheel I noticed that the housing for the wheel speed sensor cable was partially worn through. I must have not tucked the wires out of the way enough.

I wrapped up the exposed wire in electrical tape and zip tied the wires to the strut out of the way.

So far no abs light and no bad symptoms.

I guess the point is to check the wheel speed sensors as others have mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                        X