Subframe help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe help!

So we're trying to drop the subframe and have gotten to the point where we need to drop the driveshaft, but none of the four bolts that hold it together are coming loose whatsoever.

We've tried everything, including PB Blaster and we're coming up short and can't get the dame driveshaft to drop so we can get to the subframe and trailing arm bushings!

Anyone got any ideas? And yes, we've been hammering at it for quite some time now. We have to get it done hopefully tonight into tomorrow. After that, its all or bust. Any suggestions help.
    Old and improved:

I ran into this problem when I was taking the driveshaft off my parts car.

The worst part is you can't fit ANYTHING in there to get ANY leverage.

I litereally soaked the damn things with PB Blaster, and just used all my force to break the bitches free.

Something that you could try is go to Home Depot, and buy a pipe that will fit over your 19mm wrench, and use that to break the bastards free. That's what I had to do to get the bolts off my differential. Home Depot didn't have a 2in metal pipe, so we got a 2in diameter PVC pipe, 2 ft long - broke em loose. ;)
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

I used a 32oz ball peen hammer and a box-end wrench.

Comment

All of that worked on my 87, but I was working on m42tecknik's 91, and I had fun breaking many bolts loose.

He just headed out with koni adjustable shocks, ground control coilovers, gc camber plates, alluminum rear shocks mounts, and poly control arm bushings installed. Wow what a difference, the ride is unbelieveable. Low and mean, but nowhere near overly stiff.

I was unable to get to the subframe in time though. Plus wasnt even sure where to go next from where I was. Subframe removal was not in the haynes manual. Next time...
        Old and improved:

Comment

Yea, I gotta thank my master mechanic for helping me out, even as I slept early this morning! Enjoy the goodies I left, and up next...I dunno.
          Reminiscing...

Comment

Are your rears external adjustables?
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
              No. Have to have them on full soft when you break them in though, not too hard.
              Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                No. Have to have them on full soft when you break them in though, not too hard.
                Yea, that was the plan.

They aren't a bitch to adjust tho, are they? I really want external adjustables, but if the rear non-externals aren't too bad, I may just deal with it.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

They aren't a bitch to adjust tho, are they? I really want external adjustables, but if the rear non-externals aren't too bad, I may just deal with it.
                  Not at all. Just follow the very crappy directions. Push all the way down making sure some holes line up, and turn counterclockwise for soft, clockwise for hard. Easy.
                  Reminiscing...

Comment

The crappy thing is that you will have to take them out each time you want to adjust them. You've got to pull the bumpstop out before adjustment. Its not hard to do at all, just a little time consuming for a simple adjustment.
                    Old and improved:

Comment

you could always just leave out the bump stops ;)

all I have to do is drive the rear on some ramps, unbolt the trailing arm mount and adjust. no messing with the trunk carpet either..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was typing that same statement until i realized that the bump stop was in there. Thats not a bad idea taking them out. I dont see the rear end bottoming with those ground controls in there.
                        Old and improved:

Comment

Breaker bar is your friend. :)

Comment

Working...
                          X