Clear All

This works too. You will need;

5/8-11 Tap
    WD40
    1/2 chuck drill motor
    5/8-11 x 3" bolt
    1/2" x 8" steel rod
    5 lb. sledge hammer.

Insert 5/8-11 tap into chuck of drill motor.
    Lubricate tap with WD40 and tap the subframe bushing from underneath the car.
    Insert the 5/8-11 bolt into the tapped hole.
    From the inside of the car, insert the 1/2" x 8" steel rod into the hole that holds the subframe mounting bolt.
    Beat the steel rod with the 5 lb. sledge hammer until the subframe drops.
    It may take 5-20 good solid hits but it will drop.
    Repeat process for other side of subframe.

I have used this method twice in the last month and it worked great.

Comment

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the axels out and the two bolt out from inside the car and all other bolts out. Does it fall? Nope.

Off to home depot for the lag bolt method.
      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Well we had the same problem as Drutt23, and this thread really helped us, thanks! No one indicated what size lag bolt/screw to use so we bought multiple sizes and one of them worked. We used a 5/8 lag bolt, because a 1/2" of any type is too small in diameter. We couldn't find any wood lag screws (pointed tip) in a 5/8" size so we used a lag bolt with a hex head. We started it in the bottom of the bushing, but of course it wouldn't go in without pressure, so we used our floor jack with a metal plate resting on it between our 1/2" ratchet wrench to make the turning easier. We only had to go In about 1" to get good grip on the aluminum sleeve in the bushing. From the top we used a 7" long 1/2" lag bolt with a smooth head to hammer on, and within 4-5 hits with just a hammer it popped out. I hopes this helps the next person.

Comment

kmoses used the same method that i did. works really well, and for the most part, saves the bushing if you dont want to replace it.
          1984 318i
          sr20det swapped

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I leave everything attached. I find the weight helps. This is easier said then done, but you have to out-smart that fucker. It's not always about brute force.
            Ive only pulled one of these fuckers once but It really helped having everythin on, Plus if you need a place to hammer you can beat on the trailing arms if your comfortable with that.

Comment

lag bolt...? first e30 first stuck subframe lol

bFH big effin Hammer ? just picked up our e30 cars stripped got a new rear subframe really tryin to get this wrolling so we cn do bodywork/paint i am now drilling holes in the bushing just sprayed pb on the top have the control arms held up and have been using fire(lol grill lighter garage has exposed insulation till we can get the car roling to get it redone) to destroy these bushings... wont budge car is on jack stands so room is limited ... anyone got ideas/pics ?

Do i just hammer the bolt up from the bottom and lag bot it out? can anyone give me a run down of what needs to be done?
              Last edited by bimmer30nj; 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM. Reason: tryin to figure this out
              e30 325is parts for sale
              vvvvvvvvvv

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=341366

Comment

Sorry to revive this, but how did u all get past the exhaust? Seems mine wont drop unless it destroys the exhaust on the way down.
                Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
                Originally posted by J3M93
                This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

You need to remove the exhaust first.
                  90 E30 S50B30
                  http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Originally posted by Cracker Red View Post
                    I just removed the rear subframe on a 87' donor/swap car. Took me about an hour or so, but I've got no idea what I'm doing. I pulled the ebrake cables, brake lines, shocks off the body. Next I put a floor jack under the diff. Removed the diff mount, then removed the 22mm subframe mounts. While still supported by the jack, I removed the subframe lower plates (???) with an allen key/driver. When I lowered it down, the left side came off right away, but the right side bound up. I had to jack it back up, and pry on the right side as I lowered it. Came right on down.

Sounds like it might be bound up on one end.

It's pretty heavy btw :)
                    This is exactly what I did. I thought I wrote it. LOL.

Originally posted by RoadHazard View Post
                    You need to remove the exhaust first.
                    lmfao
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                    ---------------------------------
                    89 E30 S52
                    ---------------------------------
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Shit. Didnt want to do that
                      Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
                      Originally posted by J3M93
                      This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Good info here. I'm planning on doing mine this summer sometime.

Comment

F the tap. I found a 5/8 lag bolt (not machine thread) and sunk it up in there. A breaker bar and a socket sunk it in real good. A 4lbs hammer and a two foot rod later and those suckers came right out.

Before I tried the lag bolt I tried to pull them out, pry them out, a few other things, and all I saw was the bushing starting to tear. The lag bolt is definitely the way to go.
                          -------------------------------------------------
                          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

lag bolt worked for me, starting the 2nd car today.
                            1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
                            1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
                            1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

pics please

Originally posted by Ryan...
                              It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Pics of what? I'm doing this tomorrow so whatever you guys want to see.

Is there a good DIY writeup yet?
                                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                                X