Weird Trailing Arm Removal Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Trailing Arm Removal Issue

So I'm re-vamping my E30 suspension, front end no problem, CAB's, control arms, tie rod ends, springs, shocks etc. For the rear, springs, shocks, IE shock mounts and of course IE TAB's.

I did one side at a time, got the left (drivers) side done, not a whole lot of fun to get the bushings out or get the arm back on with new bushings, but its done. I went to pull off the right side and after everything is disconnected I tried to remove the right or outside bolt and it won't come out. It interfers with the spicket for the gas tank. The metal part where the hose from fuel filler to the tank attaches?? WTF? I removed the hose as well and it still wont come out.

Has anybody had this issue? Am I just retarted? Or was it because it was 2am? I looked at for a while and couldn't see how it could come out.

Also, the bushings were very tight and had little to no play. Amazing for a car with 300K on it.

Any advise would be appreciated, I put the car back together for now but would like to put the right side bushings in at some point.

you are removing the trailing arms without dropping the subframe? that could be your problem.

Comment

Lower the subframe until the bolt clears the filler neck on the tank.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I've only heard of one person ever doing this without removing the rear subframe, and I think he was lying. I tried to do this with the subframe in place, I failed. :(

When you lower the subframe, it's a great time to replace the rear brake lines at the same time.

Comment

I've done this several times on cars with the early (55L) tank w/o lowering the subframe. But I've not had an occasion to try to do it on a car with the late tank. So I can't say if that would be any different.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I feel a little less retarted. I was definately not in the mood to replace the subframe bushings at that point, even though I have new IE's in my garage, since I had already done the front end rebuild and installed a new dash in the last 2 days.....

I will get to that soon, but regarding the trailing arm removal, can I just unbolt one side of the subframe and lower it enough to get the bolt out or should I plan on removing it completly.

Comment

You won't have to completely drop the subframe. just lower it a couple of inches. But, while you are in there it would make the most sense to replace the subframe bushings and the two soft brake lines above the subframe.

Comment

Cool! thanks for the tip, I'll order the brake lines before I try it again.

Comment

I was able to remove and replace that bolt without lowering the subframe. Just took off the hose (spilling gas EVERYWHERE, lol) loosened the arm up so nothing was holding it in except said bolt, then had my buddy pull the arm out away from the car while I tapped the bolt with a screwdriver and hammer. Pretty easy actually. Was on my '89 coupe.

I miss the old BMW

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    I've done this several times on cars with the early (55L) tank w/o lowering the subframe. But I've not had an occasion to try to do it on a car with the late tank. So I can't say if that would be any different.
                    I've done this with the early model... I didn't lower the subframe.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                    ---------------------------------
                    89 E30 S52
                    ---------------------------------
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

I just did this job on my e30 last weekend. I have a late model and I dropped the trailing arms and then the subframe. I had the same issue but after I removed the hose I some how got the bolt out?? Good luck.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Dropping the subframe makes life much easier because not only you can avoid the gas hose issue but you also have more room for tools to move.
                        90 E30 S50B30
                        http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Working...
                        X