Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clunk/rattle from rear. Anything wrong in these photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunk/rattle from rear. Anything wrong in these photos?

So whenever I drive over rough/bumpy roads, I get a rattle/series of clunks from the rear. Kinda sounds like something big rattling around.

My trailing arm and subframe bushings were replaced about two years ago, but car has probably only done less than 5,000 miles since then.
    My rear shock mounts were replaced last year with these PU types:

My rear diff bushing hasn't been replaced in my 4-5 years of ownership, don't know when it was last replaced.

Anyway, I took some photos, perhaps you guys will spot something or give you more ideas?

The diff bushing. It still seems pretty firm tho.

The left and right struts. I was pretty concerned about the extra space on the bolt where it mounts to the arm (both sides have it, more so on the right), but I was told it's normal/nothing.

Both my subframe mounts look like this. Not sure if it looks OK or not.

Hope you guys can think of something, thanks!
    Last edited by evilnickwong; 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM.

I actually just got the same issue yesterday, my diff bushing does not look as good as yours and that might be my issue. But if I find anything I will let you know.

Comment

The subframe bushings look odd to me.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Those subframe bushings do look very off to me, and I don't know about those shock bolts either. I will say though that those RSM's will add some noise.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I suspected the subframe ones as well, but what exactly is off/odd? They don't appear to be sagging, the normal sign is that the subframe is touching the lower support plate, but it's not.

As for the shock bolts, they definitely look weird, but I don't know, are they supposed to be shorter bolts or something?

Comment

What looks odd to me is the space between the subframe and the body.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I installed very similar rear shock mounts incorrectly (didn't use the cup washers) and blew them out very quickly (month or so). The result was the symptoms you describe. The spacing on the sub bushes & shock bolts do look very odd, but I'd at least peak behind the trunk lining at the rsm.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                What looks odd to me is the space between the subframe and the body.
                ^This is what I was thinking. I'm wondering if this would allow the subframe to travel up and down.

Comment

If that space is not normal, what could have caused it? Incorrect installation? Does anyone have a picture of what a normal bushing/space looks like? It would be great if you could take a quick photo for comparison. :)

KVF:Are you referring to the cup washers #6 and #12? I believe mine are installed.

I did notice in my first picture that the inner metal sleeve on the RSMs are higher on one side that the other. Don't know if that matters. (You can see in the photo, the one on the left is even with the surface of the PU, while the other is sunken in a little)

Comment

I don't have a pic right now, but the sub bush normally looks to sit higher up toward the washer. Hard to be accurate from pic, but yours looks about 1.5-2 inches low. I can only suggest having a buddy lay beside the car looking up at the sub while you power brake (use ebrake as well) and place the car under forward & reverse load. If he notices significant movement of the subframe you'll know the bushings are bad. Don't run him over. :)

You correctly identify the inverted cup washers. The pic on the sleeve differences is of no concern. They get moved into corrected position when you torque the assembly to the shock.

Comment

I replaced my subframe bushings a few years ago also and mine have that enormous gap too. My other e30 has barely any gap. Does anybody have a picture of some IE poly bushings installed?
                      what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

KVF: That suggestion sounds highly dangerous hehe. I'll try to have a look at them while moving the car some other way.
                        In the meantime, would be great if someone could give a picture from a similar angle of what a normal subframe bushing looks like in relation to the chassis.

Comment

that seems like a lotta space on the lower rear shock bolt man(right one specifically)...mine tighten up pretty flush. but if its ALWAYS been like that and the noise is more recent then its prolly somethin else.
                          good luck
                          m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
                          build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

subframe bushings look off and the shock bolts too, mine are tight in both areas
                            1991 318is ---230K - DD
                            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                              subframe bushings look off and the shock bolts too, mine are tight in both areas
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X