Knock when applying brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock when applying brakes

Yesterday as I was driving home from the dealership, I noticed when I apply my brakes a knock would occur up-front. It would only knock once as I begin applying brakes, but the car would still brake fine. I was beginning to think maybe the master cylinder is going, but before I buy anything to replace, I would like some other ideas as to what could cause this. To me it sounds more like a knock or a clunk, no grinding or metallic noises. It literally sounds like someone tapped a hammer on the other side of the firewall. Any idea's are welcomed! Thanks!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

strut bearing is bad,does it knock when you only apply brake???

Comment

Loose caliper or carrier bolts, a bad strut bearing, bad control arm, or bad control arm bushing/mount all all possible causes. Don't drive the car until the cause is identified and fixed.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It only knocks once when first applying the brakes, and each time I apply them. I don't notice it when the car is parked, but if i'm on the move or have been driving for a while and come to a stop, i can tap the brakes at a standstill and still hear the knock. So, from what I recollect from driving it yesterday, it doesn't only knock while moving, it can be at a stop and still knock. Maybe air in the system?

I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
        2002 325i - DD
        2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Since you can cause the noise with the car not moving I'd look to the caliper or carrier (or maybe wheel bearings). I don't see how air in the system could cause noise.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Okay, when I get off work I'll take a look. Will report back.

2002 325i - DD
            2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Well, after driving it yesterday I found out that it is in fact either the ball joint or the CAB. The knock only occurs while the car is moving, and not when it's at a standstill unlike my previous description. Not only that, but the same knock occurs when hitting bumps and it is centered right around the driver wheel.

2002 325i - DD
              2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

this happened to me, found out my brake pads and sliders were bone dry i hit them with nice brake paste and it stopped
                sigpic

Comment

Happened to me a week ago as my wheel was about to fall off. Only difference was I also experienced a vibration at 60kph+
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Shock mounts, maybe?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

So your caliper and carrier bolts are all tight?
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

don't brake?
                        -Alex

Comment

Working...
                        X