i have to replace the rear brake hardline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have to replace the rear brake hardline

rust. fml. tried to bleed the brakes. ended up with $15 of superblue on the floor.

part #10

i did a bunch of research and 1 person posted that you basically have to drop the subframe to do this line. is this true? cause fuck that. i will not.

i'll do what race teams do and run ss flexhose all the way back.

anyone have any information on what replacing this line entails?

i know i have to get the flare tool, bender, and 2 fittings, for starters. using ss brake line all the way back seems a crap ton easier though. probably more expensive.

AWD > RWD

bump.

anyone know the stock size for the lines? is -3 AN or -4 AN?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I would just pull one from the junkyard. I did when i accidentally cooked a whole in the hard line on one of the trailing arms. Cost me $5 for one that was less oxidized then the one i had on my car.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

did you have to drop your rear subframe?
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Why are folks so reluctant to drop the rear subframe? It isn't that hard to do and if the subframe bushings (and/or trailing arm bushings) haven't been replaced they almost certainly need to be.

Take out the rear seat. Then with the brake lines, parking brake cables, and drive shaft disconnected, the catback and speed sensors removed support the subframe assembly with a floor jack under the forward part of the differential (or better yet with a transmission jack). Then remove the the stuff at the bottom of the subframe bushings, thread the nuts back until the end of the bolt is flush with the nut, and drive the bolts up with a small sledge, remove the nuts, push the bolts out of the bushings, and lower the assembly. Installation is the reverse.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Kershaw, this the next garage day? Finally get your car the attention?

I have another tin of SuperBlue, too.....

Comment

i've done the rear subframe bushings before. they were no fun. and i have no reason to suspect the rear bushings are bad in this e30. no abnormal clunking or whatnot. i have a pile of things to do to my silver ix, including the transfercase, and the list just keeps getting longer. i dont have a garage and it's getting cold.

cabrio, yes sir. it seems like my car is over due for some TLC. maybe i can knock the TC and this brake line out at the same time. even if i were already replacing the RSBs already, i still want go with SS lines. never have to worry about that crap again. im considering redoing all the lines in the car in brained ss.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

^ That is a nice idea. I know why they don't do it, but I wonder why they just don't do that from the start.

We just don't make things like we used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  i still want go with SS lines. never have to worry about that crap again. im considering redoing all the lines in the car in brained ss.
                  That would be a lot more expensive than the OE lines. As to them lasting, the OE lines lasted for 20 years and a new set should be good for another 20 years. Seems a no-brainer to me.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

ss lines would be a lot easier to install. it would take me 10-15 minutes to install. run it down the chassis with holders that are screwed in with self tapping screws.

i have to think about my time when considering cost as well. if i spend $75 and it takes me 15 minutes its well worth it than if i spend $25 and it takes me 4-5 hours.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

The hard line is a bitch to install for sure, but I already had my rear subframe out. Car was only a foot off the ground though. It might be possible to get the old line out without removing too many big parts, but snaking it in will be a pain no matter how you slice it. I was hand bending my line as I went...

Comment

i am not looking to do that. but if i have to... i have to.

here's my current plan
                        -3AN to -4AN reducer (x2), these would go straight into the MC and the rear junction box.

-4AN adapters (x2) these are a compression fit onto the ss lines.

-4AN brake line (10ft?)

ok... so here's a few wrenches that i see. that adapter is from a different website and i dont know if it'll fit together. but i'll order both adapters just to see, since they are only a few bucks and they look right. bigger wrench is this: that -3AN to -4AN adapter... what is the thread pitch of the oem brake lines? anyone know? does it look right? chances it'll work?

the internet is surprisingly devoid of such e30 brake line minutiae.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

why deal with all that an stuff? euro hard brake line can be had at any auto parts store. in a variety of lengths, along with joiner fittings and a flare tool. cheap.
                          marshall
                          75 M2
                          87 325
                          97 m3
                          02 325it

Comment

so the install will take me 30 minutes, not 5 hours.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

good luck with that 30 min estimate....;-)
                              marshall
                              75 M2
                              87 325
                              97 m3
                              02 325it

Comment

Working...
                              X