318i upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318i upgrades

I posted this in my progress thread and didnt get any feedback since not many are viewing the M10 subforum. Maybe I can get better feed back here.

Ok, so I have a list of things I will need to upgrade to caliper/rotors for all 4 wheels.

Front of Car:
    Take he whole strut assembly (IDK if that is what its called) along with
    Hub/calipers/rotors/pads
    pretty much looks like this:

Brake Lines:
    1: Take the hand brake lines
    2: Take the Line from the T to the Calipers

Questions:
    1. Will I need to take a brake booster (Non-ABS) from one of the 325s?
    2. Will the master cylinder need replacing or is the stock one fine?
    3. Will I need the check valve on the brake line between the master cylinder and the "T"?

Rear of Car:

1: Take upper spring seat
    2: Take Coil Spring
    3: Take shock obsorber
    4: Stabilizer Bar (Is the one on the 6cyl cars better/bigger)
    5: Hub/Caliper/Rotor/Pads
    6: Trailing Arm

A. Is there anything I am missing?
    B. Is there anything not necessary (Ex. Brake booster, ect)?
    C. What parts are better to just buy new? (Ex. pads, rotors, ect)?

I appreciate all the help. I know that I am writing a lot. But as someone who is learning I appreciate post like this. The details help a lot of newbees and sometimes people can come off kind of harsh when a newbee ask questions.

Once again thanks.

Anyone?

Comment

I'm looking to do pretty much the exact same thing on my 318. From my understanding you don't need to replace the master cylinder brake booster etc unless you want to retrofit abs. I do believe you need to replace the brake lines on the rear brakes to the t and you also need to replace the parking brake cable. Everything should bolt right up, it's supposed to be a simple swap

Comment

OK, cool. Do you know if the stabilizer bar is diff/larger on any of the 325s compared to the 318i.

Comment

Just need the handbrake cable that is all. 318 doesn't come with a rear sway bar. Some people argue against it. Personally I don't think l the e30 needs one. Just pull he front sway from a cabrio if u want an upgrade. Don't see why u would need much of what u listed. Just use the stock brake booster also. No need to upgrade.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

M10 318's came w rear drums so if you are doing a drum>disc conversion you have to swap trailing arms & ebrake cables.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

If I were to upgrade I would just pull a complete rear end with LSD. Might as well go all the way

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Yes, Ive been doing more reading and things are pointing me in that direction.

Comment

Is the MC the same size as a 325e? Real oem says 19,05/20,64MM for the 318i and 20.64 for the 325e. Is it a split MC or did they have 2 different models? I pulled the booster out already because i'm painting the engine bay. I have a spare m20 booster that i'm going to be using since i'm doing an m20 swap and the vacuum line port is on the opposite side.
                  Last edited by einstein57; 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Nigel I don't think theyre the same size. Maybe a tad smaller cant be sure never had them side by side, but most people tend not to upgrade since the stock mc seems to be adequate

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Jean had some pretty detailed info on his brake swap. Was in his build thread iir

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                        318 doesn't come with a rear sway bar. Some people argue against it. Personally I don't think l the e30 needs one. Just pull he front sway from a cabrio if u want an upgrade.
                        You want more understeer? Get the rear sway and leave the stock front one. It makes the car perfectly neutral and amazing.
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                          You want more understeer? Get the rear sway and leave the stock front one. It makes the car perfectly neutral and amazing.
                          I have a cabrio bar and an m3 rear and my 318 is super neutral.
                          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                            I have a cabrio bar and an m3 rear and my 318 is super neutral.
                            Yeah, but you have a rear bar. Who would run a cab front with no rear?
                            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                              Yeah, but you have a rear bar. Who would run a cab front with no rear?
                              True, I agree with you on that point.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X