E46 m3 abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 m3 abs

Can you in a sense update your ABS by switching the E30 one with a E46 abs? Im curious cause obviously the E46 ABS is more advanced and well better.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

I sort of remember someone asking about this and the answer was that it was possible, though E46 hall effect wheel speed sensors were required. It would be a fair bit of work.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

a long time ago turner or bimmerworld (forget who) offered a complete mostly bolt on kit to retrofit e30s with e46 m3 abs. IIRC the cost was around 3k for everything that was required

Comment

Ah.... something I can sink my teeth into.

The sensors on the E46 M3 ABS (Mk20 or Mk60) are not Hall or VR sensors, they are a third type.

They offer directional information, as well as self check when not even moving.

These are the blue connector sensors.

One would need to convert several several items over from a Mk20 or Mk60 system, AND keep in mind its designed to work with brake bias ratios quite different from stock E30 car's, and certainly without a brake bias valve in the rear circuit. You'd also have to add brake lines since its 4 channel.
        sigpic
        Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
        http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

I would love to have "modern" abs in an e30. I wouldnt pay more than 500-1000 $ to do it.

4 channel would be lovely.

Biggest problems other than installation and parts would be with the wheel speed sensors, and tying the modern unit into the dme/ finding one that is standalone from other systems.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Comment

perfect, only $14,000 for an full setup
              Originally posted by unloadedak
              It's brand new. I've gripped the shaft a couple times and that's about it.

Comment

Working...
              X