Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750i MC upgrade myths

Hey people

I wanna talk about advantages of increasing the area of the brake master cylinder.

Lot's of people on the forum seem to be under impression that putting in a larger cylinder piston area MC will result in a "higher pressure" in the brake hydraulic system.

I am not an expert but i know the "golden rule of mechanics" and according to it, increasing the area of the MC piston will make it "harder" to brake - i e the amount of force required from your foot to exert the same amount of force on the brake pads, will have to be higher. However it will also result in a lesser distance traveled by the foot to "lock up" the brakes.

So, to everyone: make no mistake in thinking that you get free lunch with a larger MC. By getting less foot travel you suffer having to push harder.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Alex

Shocking news!! This just in:

This is news to no one.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

That is the point of the modification.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

wanna wager your car on that, Jordan?

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
          That is the point of the modification.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
          yes it is, but i found some people miss this point - thus the thread.
          i just want to help.

Alex

Comment

i by no means claim i know everything

for instance, i would appreciate if someone can explain to me why the decreased travel distance is beneficial.
            One i can think of is better brake modulation. But really, this mod decreases the amount of maximum force you can apply to the pad, which potentially hurts the braking performance - am i missing anything?

this thread was born to discuss the use of a larger MC and to inform people not in the know.

Alex

Comment

it's a ricer mod for stock e30s. it doesn't help any and actually increases stopping distances IIRC

but a uber stiff pedal is so FUH RAZE

Comment

Originally posted by static
                wanna wager your car on that, Jordan?
                Well its been addressed in many other threads, so it should not be news to anyone thats been around any amount of time.

I do not believe this modification increased stopping distances when the operator is doing their part correctly. Pedal effort is increased for shorter travel. Most stock e30's I drive have horrible awful long travel pedals and thats pretty crap IMO. Makes it all but impossible to heel n toe.

I never drove my car with the stock MC, only with the 25mm MC. My brakes were still great all considering. Now that I have much larger calipers the 25mm MC is nessicary to keep acceptable travel on the pedal IMO.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

you see, you have a good insight into the mechanics of it and you make the right decisions.

here is an example of misinformation: (the first post on this page by parkerbink)

Alex

Comment

Most stock e30's I drive have horrible awful long travel pedals and thats pretty crap IMO.
                    Funny how much bleeding the brakes right could probably help pedal travel and firmness of ~95% of e30s in question.

But once again, the e30 community does believe in useless 'upgrades' rather than good maintence. it's the r3v way

static, don't mind Jordan's harsh response. we could only HOPE more people realized this..... but not too many do

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
                      This is referring to SS lines What does that have to do with the MC which is the point of your post.

I changed my parts and felt an improvement. Have you driven my car?

Do I know you? Leave me out of your delusions.
                      Shutup. We hate you.

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

It's also not setup for the E30's 3 channel brake system. The E32 has a 4 channel system so the bias for the rears is a little wacked when you put it on an E30.
                        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Which is exactly why I will not.
                          If you don't, I'm coming to Meheeco to kick your scawny little ass.

Will
                          DaveCN = Old Man

If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Which is exactly why I will not.

ssshhhhh.
                            My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

I am far from scrawny and will save you the trip come to L.A. and well see what ya got. I'll be there in about two weeks.

Here is what I am missing. Some idiot noob misquotes me and somehow I get dragged into this shit. Who pissed in your cornflakes Will?
                              lol cmon man. Take a friggin joke! And the cornflakes... I dont use milk ;)

Will
                              DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Working...
                              X