Problem with uuc brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with uuc brake lines

Hello everyone, I just want to give a heads up and see if anyone had melting or other problems with their uuc brake lines. Last night I was mig welding about 4 to 5 feet from my car and I noticed a cloud of smoke coming from the fender well, when smoke cleared my brake line was melted and brake fluid was leaking out. I don't know if this is common with braided steel lines but I will be contacting uuc tomorrow to get some more info. I has some pics below thanks

Left side

Right Side

Wow, that is scary!

Sure looks like the tire was rubbing on it, that damage to the inner fender and all, I just don't see how a tire could rub there, unless you ran a 275/50/13 on stock springs...or I am just seeing it wrong.

Hope you get that straightened out, that really is scary as hell!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Pretty obvious something caused that not like it spontaneously combusted lol.

Comment

Looks like someone was was welding something with a not so great ground.

Not just a UUC thing all steel braid reinforced lines will conduct electricity. ;)

Comment

It's deffently the sparks from my welder but the lines should not be that sensitive. I was 5 feet away and I wasn't even welding on the car. Just think if you were driving down the road and you hit some metal that started to spark (very unlikley) but shit happens. And it's not tire rub. My car is parked for now. Lol

Comment

I don't know why the pics are upside down I tried to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by E30BTR View Post
              It's deffently the sparks from my welder but the lines should not be that sensitive. I was 5 feet away and I wasn't even welding on the car.
              That's pretty dang relative to say "should not be that sensitive" and frankly impossible to gauge. I've seen some pretty strange things happen from time to time while welding. What's weird is I agree with bimmerteck, looks like a grounding-burn.

Hopefully you don't use the "weak brake line" argument when emailing UUC, it won't/shouldn't fly.

All in all, pretty interesting burn. I'd throw that line on the shelf for the next time you're drinking some beers with your friends and looking for something to talk about.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by E30BTR View Post
                It's deffently the sparks from my welder but the lines should not be that sensitive. I was 5 feet away and I wasn't even welding on the car. Just think if you were driving down the road and you hit some metal that started to spark (very unlikley) but shit happens. And it's not tire rub. My car is parked for now. Lol
                I'm not saying that sparks from your welder the minute you noticed caused it, at some point earlier that evening/day you may have welded(even for just a moment) under the hood with a poor ground connection or a ground connection that was further from where you were welding than it should have been. With a poor or distant ground the current will flow through the path of least resistance to ground which at some point that day it was through your brake line. You got lucky to not have had a more serious fire. UUC had no fault in the incident nor was it faulty construction of the brake line.

Comment

The line is still smoking in the 3rd picture... what were you grounding to?
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I just want to start off by saying I never have a problem with any uuc products. Everything I bought from uuc was made with quality and never failed and I'm not trying to say their products are shitty. I'm not calling uuc to say the brake lines are shitty and i want new ones or a refund, I was calling them to identify a possible flaw in the line it's self. I never had braided steel lines before so I wanted to see if they or someone on r3v had a similar problem with uuc or other braided lines. When the car was equiped with oem brake lines I have welded countless times on my can and never had any issues. i wasnt really clear but as you can see in the pics below this is how i was welding( the set up was reversed at the time) my main concern is the safety with the use of the lines. I have to go right now but later tonight I will conduct a test to see if my case is just freak accident but i will take a lighter, angle grinder, and welder really close to both oem and uuc lines to see the out come. Even if i was welding on the car I dont think i could conduct enought electricty to melt the brake lines, unless I connected the ground to the brake line. later i will Try and get a "flash point" to determain if us dot/ odi should be notified about the concern I have and investigate the outer coating that is being used on the lines. I will video everything. Laters

Comment

Working...
                    X