SS line exploded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS line exploded...

yeah so now im seriously sceptical of my SS lines.

yesterday i was just driving around running errands, and i go to hit the brakes, and the pedal goes to the floor, and the brake fluid light comes on. so i like shit, my brake MC must have gone out. i drive my car straight to a brake shop i go to, and the put it on the lift and rite away are like, "your LR brake line exploded"... i had these put on about 18mo ago, and it already busted, whereas the OEM ones were on there for what, 17yrs?

so in summary, i had them take off the stainless lines and put in all OEM lines.
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

damn... i just bought them whyd you have to go an say that
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30

yesterday i was just driving around running errands, and i go to hit the brakes, and the pedal goes to the floor, and the brake fluid light comes on. so i like shit, my brake MC must have gone out. i drive my car straight to a brake shop i go to, and the put it on the lift and rite away are like, "your LR brake line exploded"... i had these put on about 18mo ago, and it already busted, whereas the OEM ones were on there for what, 17yrs?

so in summary, i had them take off the stainless lines and put in all OEM lines.
      $10 says it separated at the fitting.

Stainless steel lines for a street car are a seriously overrated mod.

New oem lines will do wonders for brake feel. SS lines are decent for the track but should be changed every season and inspected regularly.

Comment

Ireland Engineering?

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
          Ireland Engineering?
          Seriously. I've had Goodridges on both my previous car and my current car, and haven't had any problems yet. Seems like IE's cheaping out on something.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

IE aren't DOT approved and don't rotate at their fittings like TMS do. So it's a possibly. I had to buy a pair of IE's front ones to replace a TMS I stripped, but I sure enough bought up a pair of TMS lines to go back on ASAP. (only bought IE because it was after 7pm eastern time on a friday... and i didn't have another option)

i ranted on e30tech about how I would only go for TMS ones, but the tjpse guys wanted to support cheaping out

Comment

they were the Goodrich's(goodridge, sp?).... and no, they dont rotate at the fitting, but thats not where it busted, they busted about 3cm back from the caliper side fitting.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

What brand?

*EDIT* nevermind. you answered it as i was posting the question.
                Last edited by erik325i; 02-28-2006, 11:05 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^He said they were Goodrich. Interesting, those are DOT approved right?

they were the Goodrich's(goodridge, sp?).... and no, they dont rotate at the fitting, but thats not where it busted, they busted about 3cm back from the caliper side fitting.
                  Last edited by herragge; 03-01-2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Fresh stock rubber lines are fine for practically all applications including track events. I'm sure the people who felt a firmer brake pedal with SS lines switched from old worn out rubber lines and probably would have felt the same firmer effect by switching over to new rubber lines.
                    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                      Fresh stock rubber lines are fine for practically all applications including track events. I'm sure the people who felt a firmer brake pedal with SS lines switched from old worn out rubber lines and probably would have felt the same firmer effect by switching over to new rubber lines.
                      true story. or a fresh brake bleed even...

the fact people are going from unbleed, 16 year rubber lines to stainless lines and singing their praises is about as conclusive as budget beatoff having his baseline with a half dead fuel pump and clogged injectors, then replacing those parts and installing a ricer ebay intake and making it up for the new CF cone!

Comment

I've had Goodridge's too for the past 20 months, no problems. I'd definitely complain to the company.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                          IE aren't DOT approved and don't rotate at their fittings like TMS do. So it's a possibly. I had to buy a pair of IE's front ones to replace a TMS I stripped, but I sure enough bought up a pair of TMS lines to go back on ASAP. (only bought IE because it was after 7pm eastern time on a friday... and i didn't have another option)

i ranted on e30tech about how I would only go for TMS ones, but the tjpse guys wanted to support cheaping out
                          If I'm changing my brake pads, flushing/bleeding, and changing my rear subframe bushings this month, is it worth it to replace my original brake lines with SS?

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

the problem with SS brake lines for daily road use is that there is a possiblity that a small pebble, rock, piece of sand, or some sort of debris can get inbetween the weave of the metal and get down to the rubber insulation under the stainless steel weave. then when you keep on drive and the line flexes and moves around that pebble will start to rub away at the insulation and put a hole right in it.
                            there was an article on it a while back explaining why regular oem or high quality rubber brake lines are best for daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by King Luis
                              the problem with SS brake lines for daily road use is that there is a possiblity that a small pebble, rock, piece of sand, or some sort of debris can get inbetween the weave of the metal and get down to the rubber insulation under the stainless steel weave. then when you keep on drive and the line flexes and moves around that pebble will start to rub away at the insulation and put a hole right in it.
                              there was an article on it a while back explaining why regular oem or high quality rubber brake lines are best for daily use.
                              I've seen some, like UUC's, where the SS lines have a plastic coating over top of them. I assume those wouldn't have the same problems as just bare SS...?

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

Working...
                              X