Deducing a cause and solution for shaking at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The only question I have about the driveshaft being the cause is the shake doesn't dissipate when I push in the clutch at speed and free wheel. I also don't feel the vibration in the rear floor over where the center support bearing is.
    If there is no change in vibration when you put the clutch in you have only eliminated the engine and pressure plate. The drive shaft, transmission, and clutch are all still spinning. If you put the car in neutral you can eliminate about half the transmission and clutch, but the drive shaft is still spinning.

A bad drive shaft will shred a center support bearing, and if it does that you might actually feel less vibration in the tunnel instead of more. With the bearing out the drive shaft almost free-wheels in there, and isn't solidly connected. Can you feel the vibration in the shifter?

If the steering wheel really is the harshest point of vibration than it has to be coming from the front end, specifically something in the suspension components or attached to it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Interesting!

I haven't felt the shifter, I will try that!

Funny thing, the front has been rebuilt in the last 3k miles:
      New control arms (Lemforder)
      New hubs
      New drop links
      New CABs (THR units)
      New wheels (hubcentric)
      New Tires (twice)
      New rotors
      New pads
      New Steering guibo
      New rack (rebuilt unit, new)
      New inner and outer tie rods
      Balanced (x3), road forced balanced
      Rebuilt P/S pump
      New upper P/S line
      New P/S reservoir
      New upper strut mounts

Changed the knuckle assy on the right side last weekend.

In the rear:
      New right axle
      new rotors
      new pads
      new upper strut mounts

Changed diffs, new diff bushing.

I feel the shake in the wheel and also the floor at the front including the pedals.
      Last edited by kung fu jesus; 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM.
      '88 325is
      Alpinweiss

Comment

Alright, borrowing a set of known good wheels and tires just eliminate any doubt of a bad wheel(s). If the symptoms persist, I will pull the trigger on a remanufactured driveshaft, new CSB, guibo and Trans mounts (because I'm in there).
        '88 325is
        Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
          Alright, borrowing a set of known good wheels and tires just eliminate any doubt of a bad wheel(s). If the symptoms persist, I will pull the trigger on a remanufactured driveshaft, new CSB, guibo and Trans mounts (because I'm in there).
          Holy. Christ. I click the thread to glean knowledge about my own shake and at my novice stage, the amount of money you've put into this e30 makes me think, yea I can live with the shake. GL finding the problem
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I now have a reman driveshaft, guibo, CSB, exhaust gaskets, mounting hardware and trans mounts sitting in my office, but the weather has been too cold to install them. :(

I don't have a garage at my home, just a large open carport. The recent snow didn't help.

Hopefully, I can get at this on Saturday, maybe Sunday.

The expense hasn't been *too* bad, just a little frustrating. Actually, for being relatively new to these cars again, the DIY repairs have not been difficult. I do feel a little foolish for not recognizing the driveshaft as a problem because I had my logic reversed.

The biggest reason for continuing this thread the hope that it might_just help someone in the future. I cannot tell you how many threads on different boards I read with no report as to what the solution was.
            Last edited by kung fu jesus; 01-31-2014, 06:07 AM.
            '88 325is
            Alpinweiss

Comment

Oh, I also figured out the sound I *thought* was just the fuel pump was actually the CSB. I come from the Miata world and have done extensive work with them. It's pretty common to hear the pump because it is just behind your right shoulder, so when you drive them, you can hear it buzzing a little. I started noticing the buzzing I heard in the e30 was speed dependent, plus the location, and that the fuel pump in this car sits under 5 inches of foam called the back seat.

My mechanical learning of this car has been accelerated to ludicrous speed because of my hunt for the solution. :) I guess when it is solved, I *should* have a pretty reliable, solid-driving car sooner than I anticipated.
              '88 325is
              Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                If there is no change in vibration when you put the clutch in you have only eliminated the engine and pressure plate. The drive shaft, transmission, and clutch are all still spinning. If you put the car in neutral you can eliminate about half the transmission and clutch, but the drive shaft is still spinning.

A bad drive shaft will shred a center support bearing, and if it does that you might actually feel less vibration in the tunnel instead of more. With the bearing out the drive shaft almost free-wheels in there, and isn't solidly connected. Can you feel the vibration in the shifter?

If the steering wheel really is the harshest point of vibration than it has to be coming from the front end, specifically something in the suspension components or attached to it.
                A reman driveshaft solved the issues!

Thanks!

The first unit wasn't properly balanced, the reman company sent another one quick without fuss. The original DS had notchy u joints in the rear. The giubo and trans mounts were shot. The CSB was getting flaky.

She drives fantastic now! So happy!
                '88 325is
                Alpinweiss

Comment

Sweet! Glad to hear!
                  -------------------------------------------------
                  1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                  2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Six hours to do the first, removing the exhaust, 3 hours on the second, letting the rear of the exhaust droop. *Just* beat the snowpocalypse part two. :)
                    '88 325is
                    Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                    X