E30 Rear camber/toe correction plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The camber and toe correction plates seem with hardware seems to me to be stupidly expensive for what they are. Does anyone know the dimensions of these as to where I can make them on my own in a metal shop?
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

I just spent the last half hour trying to find my calipers to no avail. I just welded on the camber portions but haven't done the toe. If no one has measured by tomorrow I'll grab a caliper at work.

However, I think they're perfectly worth it. The expensive bits are the eccentric bolts/washers/nuts. That's as much as the brackets!
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
      I just spent the last half hour trying to find my calipers to no avail. I just welded on the camber portions but haven't done the toe. If no one has measured by tomorrow I'll grab a caliper at work.

However, I think they're perfectly worth it. The expensive bits are the eccentric bolts/washers/nuts. That's as much as the brackets!
      I just need to spend the money on other things and I have a whole metal shop to my disposal! and a rear subframe as well!
      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

If you've got a metal shop at your disposal, what is keeping you from drawing it up and making your own?
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I have a set that's not installed yet and can throw a ruler on 'em. the eccentric bolts come out of e34s IIRC, and you can get the plates themselves for about $40.
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
            If you've got a metal shop at your disposal, what is keeping you from drawing it up and making your own?
            Not having a subframe to measure makes things difficult (assuming his is still in his car).

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
              Not having a subframe to measure makes things difficult (assuming his is still in his car).

Alright alright you guys caught me, I'm a bit lazy. I have a separate subframe these are going on so I just have to get it there. How thick are the plates? Because I need to know really what kind of stock to use. I'm not very good at making things from imagination either so I was hoping I could get dimensions and just make them.
              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

The plates are u-shaped with the gap being equal to the diameter of the eccentrics. They don't need to be very thick, perhaps 5/32". To match the IE types the overall dimensions of the plates will be about 1-3/8" by 1-1/2".

The eccentric plates are okay, but nowhere as good as IE's serrated plates that they offer now. The eccentrics tend to loosen and move, especially the outboard toe adjusters.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

would putting a rough surface on the backs of the eccentrics and insides of the channels make them lock more effectively? e.g. sand blasting them with a rough medium.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post

Last I check your site you guys were out of the posi-lock adjustment plates, are they in stock now?
                    Last edited by Eric; 01-09-2014, 09:25 PM.
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Eccentric? Serrated?
                      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Spend a few minutes on Ireland Engineerings website Mr. Machine Shop.
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Spend a few minutes on Ireland Engineerings website Mr. Machine Shop.

Umm I don't know if you're trying to be rude but I have spent time on the ie site.
                          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Eccentric bolt

Serrated adjusters

Comment

While the new serrated plates are a big improvement over what IE sold me, they are still difficult to adjust, especially if you have poly bushings. What happens is that when you loosen the bolt, they pop out of adjustment, making it hard to make small changes without carefully marking where you were.

On the plates they sold me, they didn't have the side channels to keep the two plates parallel. It takes three hands to adjust them. Furthermore, the bolt loosened on me three different times, once while entering turn 2 at WGI at ~90mph.

When I asked for help, IE suggested locktite. This simply won't work because you would need to get the adjustment correct, then loosen the bolt to get the locktite on the threads, then tighten the bolt, however, when you loosen the bolt, the plates move and go out of adjustment.

Bottom line is that I am out $200 and I need to cut this crap off my subframe and design my own system. I really wish IE would do the right thing and at least reimburse me the $200 but they don't seem interested in that, although they know they had a bad design, or they wouldn't have redesigned it.
                              sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

Working...
                              X