Control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control arms

I know this is the wrong section, but most people view this and I need urgent help.

On October 27 of 2013 I replaced my control arms because they were clunking and creaking. I was aware the car was in an accident, but was not aware the car had shoddy repairs. It had mismatched control arm. I started hearing the same noise again and sent the arms back and got a new replacement set on January 5 of this year. Those have been fine until yesterday the noise is back. :(

Does anyone know why this can be happening so often? It is seriously getting on my nerves. Could a bad alignment be ruining them?

Any help at all is appreciated.

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
    PM me for custom shift knobs and stickers!
    Originally posted by marshallnoise
    You ain't done working on a car unless you are bleeding.

Just to clarify, you replaced the control arm bushings at the same time right?
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
      Just to clarify, you replaced the control arm bushings at the same time right?
      I did not, ive been running solid ones for a couple of thousand miles.

Comment

What brand control arms and are you sure its not some other worn component?
        We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
        www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

So you are running poly control arm bushings and you expect the car to be super quiet? I bet if you put stock control arm bushings back in there, you would never have noise. - AB

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
            What brand control arms and are you sure its not some other worn component?
            Meyle
            Originally posted by B1mmer View Post
            So you are running poly control arm bushings and you expect the car to be super quiet? I bet if you put stock control arm bushings back in there, you would never have noise. - AB
            They are delrin.... It has nothing to do with them, trust me.

Comment

Delrin CAB's will creak, just like poly, as the lube is lost. Clunking from the control arms will be worn ball joints. If using OE/OEM arms that would not happen that quick. But it can happen with the cheap stuff.

Prying and squeezing (with a 24" pair of channel locks) the ball joints will tell if they are worn.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Something else is going on... Weve sold hundreds of Meyle control arms and Ive yet to have one warranty issue
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                  Something else is going on... Weve sold hundreds of Meyle control arms and Ive yet to have one warranty issue
                  The real question is why my car is ruining them. Can a bad alignment be doing it?

Comment

How do you know it's the control arms? Humor us with an answer :)

One of the easiest ways I've used to tell what is causing problems in the suspension is to jack up a front wheel, get some good light under the car so you can see all the joints, and then try and move the tire around in the direction the tire is turned by the steering wheel. usually play in joins because really obvious really fast. You might even be able to cause the noise you are hearing.
                    -------------------------------------------------
                    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                      How do you know it's the control arms? Humor us with an answer :)

One of the easiest ways I've used to tell what is causing problems in the suspension is to jack up a front wheel, get some good light under the car so you can see all the joints, and then try and move the tire around in the direction the tire is turned by the steering wheel. usually play in joins because really obvious really fast. You might even be able to cause the noise you are hearing.
                      Ive had the same problem three times, it goes away when i replace them. The ball joints are quite loose when they are removed.

Comment

if you have had the same problem 3 times, why dont you just get an alignment?

You sure its not the strut mounts?
                        What suspension are you running? Check to make sure your struts nuts are tightened down. Seen several cars where they were loose causing similar sounds.
                        sigpic
                        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by serdar255 View Post
                          Ive had the same problem three times, it goes away when i replace them. The ball joints are quite loose when they are removed.
                          Inner or outter joint? Both sides have the same amount of play? What does the alignment shop say when you take it to them?
                          -------------------------------------------------
                          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                            if you have had the same problem 3 times, why dont you just get an alignment?

You sure its not the strut mounts?
                            What suspension are you running? Check to make sure your struts nuts are tightened down. Seen several cars where they were loose causing similar sounds.
                            not the strut mounts, i think an alignment is in order.

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                            Inner or outter joint? Both sides have the same amount of play? What does the alignment shop say when you take it to them?
                            Inner joint on the passenger side, I forgot to mention it is only the passenger side.

Comment

Well, I decided to get another pair of control arms and tie rods too, then I'm going to bring it to my dealer for an alignment.

I'm glad I bought them from FCP with their great guaranteed for life policy!

Comment

Working...
                              X